Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Default Redsky's excuses (Jackie)

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    What's the sched?

I'll be working on my speedo (actually S!'s speedo) but if I get it working I'd be down.

Yes Jackie, I have an aversion to going sailing when I have to run the motor all day. It seems so not like sailing.

However, I am planning to sail today. Installing some new AP software to test. BTW - you have a very old version of SW in the unit on your boat. Free upgrades this week only.

Brian

I'm back down south, but planning to head out from Oceanside this afternoon and stay out overnight to stress test the electrical system, since I'll be doing this starting next month to get up to Marina del Rey for PSSA races. We should have pretty good wind, and it's supposed to be warmer than the last couple of nights which have been nasty cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    I'm back down south, but planning to head out from Oceanside this afternoon and stay out overnight to stress test the electrical system, since I'll be doing this starting next month to get up to Marina del Rey for PSSA races. We should have pretty good wind, and it's supposed to be warmer than the last couple of nights which have been nasty cold.
    Oh, Max! We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    BTW - you have a very old version of SW in the unit on your boat. Free upgrades this week only.

Brian
    Dianne and Dura Mater are headed to Sam’s. Not such a long motoring trip for us from Richmond. Is that an invitation down to Brisbane later this week? North winds make for a nice long spinnaker run.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Yes Jackie, I have an aversion to going sailing when I have to run the motor all day. It seems so not like sailing. Brian
    Okay, Brian. You were right. There wasn’t much wind. But for a brief moment in time it gusted to 5 knots, which is when this photo was taken. After that? Not so much.

Name:  IMG-4347.JPG
Views: 635
Size:  91.1 KB

But it was another beautiful day, and there was a surprising number of boats out there floating around.

I arrived at the Richmond harbor to find Steve Katzman laying in Dianne’s cockpit reading a spy novel in the sunshine. He was hungry.
    “Let’s go to Sam’s. I filled my outboard with gas.” Oh ye of little faith. On the way to Dura Mater on E Dock I met up with Chris Case.
    “Come with us to Sam’s?” No. Chris was working on his autopilot. From the sound of drills and sanders, it was obvious that he wasn’t the only one working on his boat.

Bob Johnston came ambling over. Connie had asked if his new boat had a working head, which suggested that she might be interested in sailing on Surprise! one day. Of course he lied and told her “yes”, his new sailboat had a working head. So Bob was on his way to buy “head hose”.

I rigged Dura Mater and on our way out we passed Al Germain, standing next to Bandicoot on D dock and smiling.

“Hi, Al! Coming out to sail?” No. Al was working on his boat. Doing something. Does it matter? It was that kind of day.

Motored out into the Reach and raised the bumble bee, which enabled us to tack back and forth, back and forth, never quite making it into the bay proper. There were lots of little boats out there doing the same thing: Not much of anything but enjoying the sunshine and being on the water. This beauty passed by, motoring slowly.

Name:  IMG-4331.JPG
Views: 546
Size:  213.4 KB

Steve K is a pretty good sport, and Dianne is a light boat. He circled back around DM reminding me that he was still hungry. So I threw him a nectarine, kept the almonds to myself.

By this time the flood had started and there was no hope of exiting the Reach without an engine, so I turned on the Engine By Dave and we entered The Bay. I raised my spinnaker and – amazingly – it filled. For about twenty minutes we sailed along toward Berkeley, which was not the way to Sam’s at all. Dianne kept pace, circling DM a couple of times, Steve reminding me that he was still hungry. He has never sailed to Sam’s !!!

Name:  Steve K on Dianne.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  192.1 KB

I called over to him: “You can’t motor to Sam’s the first time! Sam’s is best approached by sail! We’ll have to go another day.”

He conceded the point and lay down in the cockpit to read his novel again as his boat slowly floated alongside DM on the glass. I made coffee and drank it and then I took down the spinnaker because, I admit, it was sagging against the spreaders.

On the way back in, Tony Bourque texted me that he had left a gift for me in Now & Zen’s cockpit, over there on the other side of FUGU. A jar of honey from the bees he maintains on the upper deck of his huge Berkeley brown shingle. Thank you, Tony! Wonder where it got the name Baloo’s honey? That’s a trivia question for the reader here.

Name:  IMG-4348.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  264.8 KB

Sitting in Steve’s cockpit, tied up to the end of E Dock, we wondered whether bees in Berkeley pollinated pot plants. We ate teaspoons of the stuff and were hopeful. I don't know about Steve, but I didn’t get high at all.

As the sun set I drove out of the yard, passing Chris and Rick Elkins chatting by the clubhouse. Richmond Yacht Club is SSS Central. Its motto is “This Club was built for fun”. Which is good if you like that sort of thing.

Jackie, RYC is definitely an SSS Club. Gordie was also around and Al & I just sponsored Tom Patterson and Sue Estey.

I got tired of towing Koke Honu down so she is now in the dry yard ready to splash on a moments notice...Name:  4131CCB9-4DDE-4540-927A-3A824B97C831.jpeg
Views: 631
Size:  823.4 KB

Jacquie

Great report and nice photos. We, Phillipe and I, tried to get out today, and there was wind ! Winds piped up to about 15. Unfortunately, due a switch left on for a long period, my boats little diesel would not start. On went the charger, and Phillipe headed for Tahoe in search of a different weather view. I will be out on the 1 st, maybe we will have wind ?

Great to hear Richmond YC is becoming the home for SSS members. If only Bart would tunnel from San Jose to Richmond I would rejoin the club.

Brian

"Wonder where it got the name Baloo’s honey? That’s a trivia question for the reader here."

Baloo was the big ol' bear in "The Jungle Book." And bears like honey.

Sitting in Steve’s cockpit, tied up to the end of E Dock, we wondered whether bees in Berkeley pollinated pot plants. We ate teaspoons of the stuff and were hopeful. I don't know about Steve, but I didn’t get high at all.

I didn't get high from the honey but it is delicious. I got high from a wonderful light air day, warm and sunny. E-dock at RYC is a focal point for SSS. Much messing around with boats and the feeling of a common enterprise.

Tied up at the end of E-dock stern to the south with a framed view of the Bay Bridge, the ships and tugs and pleasure craft on the Port Potrero Reach, is heaven. Jackie made it even better with a cup of coffee. Thanks for a fine day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Jackie, RYC is definitely an SSS Club. Gordie was also around and Al & I just sponsored Tom Patterson and Sue Estey.
    I got tired of towing Koke Honu down so she is now in the dry yard ready to splash on a moments notice...
    Hey, Rick. It is always nice to see you down at the end of D Dock, piddling around preparing that pretty new boat of yours for a race. Actually, Steve and I watched Gordie and Buzz Blackett sailing around like eight year olds on their El Toros, circling the green buoy just off the seawall. Maybe Tom and Sue will do some of the SSS races this year (although Tom is pretty competitive and that new boat of theirs is meant for leasure, I think).
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-01-2019 at 07:41 PM.