Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Sailing Today: USCG boards Red-Sky . Another quiet day in the South Bay, with the exception of the SFO aircraft ascending. I was out sailing in circles, no vessels in sight. A USCG rib, suddenly appearing from the south, made a sharp turn to port to intercept my vessel. They asked when the last time I was boarded, I couldn't recall ever having been boarded. I invited them to join me. They tied the rib alongside, nearly as effortless as Synthia's or Greg's efforts at greeting SHTP boats in Hanalei Bay. They came equipped with a detailed check list. I was tossing flare kits, registration papers, fire extinguishers, SOLAS flares, EPIRBS, radios, ..... into their hands. I was amazed Red-Sky passed with no violations ! As they untied the rib I thanked them for the great services they provide, and was oddly excited to have passed.

What I think? The Hawaii attorney general has been tracking you, called up the Coasties and asked them to pounce.

"That's the guy failed to herd all those renegade singlehanders."

Still waiting for the Wildcat's mast to get stepped. The crash and burn happened on April 24th. I got the boat to Berkeley on May 2nd. It's now July 27th, and pretty much for sure the mast won't get stepped for another week or two. It'll be 3 months-plus to get this done. I knew I had to be patient, that I'd have to get "fit in" between other jobs, but wow.

Let's see if I'm sailing by the time the Silver Eagle comes around at the end of August....assuming the IYC opens up registrations for the race. Last I checked, the race was listed but not open for registration. The plan was to have the boat up for sale on Sept. 1. Fingers crossed.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Silver Eagle registrations are now open.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Silver Eagle registrations are now open.
    YAY!...Now if I just have a boat with a mast, in time. I just need to be patient.

I think I'll go use my almost new cheapo pressure washer to blast the underside of the Pipers decks on Sunday. The finish is rough on the underside and the flaking paint is really tough to get off.

Wildcat of Loch Awe is back in her berth in Coyote Point. I took Highland Games buddy, Brendan for a sail. He's pretty burly but handling the tiller all day in the 20-25 knot breeze that was blasting over the South Bay tired him out!

Actually, sailing this weekend!
    We'll head out Friday and launch at Marina Bay in Richmond.
    Might get to see some of you heading to Vallejo Saturday.

No particular destinations. Maybe Scott's for dinner Saturday evening.

If anyone is going to be around RYC during the weekend, maybe we can stop by to say hello.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

I'll be at the boat this weekend, likely Sat, up the mast mounting a new wind indicator. Please drop by if you have the time and say hello!
    Chris

Default To Bodega Bay

Competitors will be relieved to read ( ;-) ) that after Drakes Bay 1 Dura Mater and I will head north to Bodega Bay. Drove up there with the Voice of Reason a couple of weeks ago, made this video of the entrance.

https://vimeo.com/582730256

Of course I will report back here. Waiting for Greg Ashby to reveal all about his Cruise Down with his new B 25 and Titia.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-25-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Sailing Today: USCG boards Red-Sky . Another quiet day in the South Bay, with the exception of the SFO aircraft ascending. I was out sailing in circles, no vessels in sight. A USCG rib, suddenly appearing from the south, made a sharp turn to port to intercept my vessel. They asked when the last time I was boarded, I couldn't recall ever having been boarded. I invited them to join me. They tied the rib alongside, nearly as effortless as Synthia's or Greg's efforts at greeting SHTP boats in Hanalei Bay. They came equipped with a detailed check list. I was tossing flare kits, registration papers, fire extinguishers, SOLAS flares, EPIRBS, radios, ..... into their hands. I was amazed Red-Sky passed with no violations ! As they untied the rib I thanked them for the great services they provide, and was oddly excited to have passed.
    Well, now I am looking over my shoulder. This is the second or third boarding report. I see CG buzzing by all the time on my Delta runs so, sooner or later, I am going to get inspected. The only saving grace is there are usually plenty of crazy motor boaters to keep them busy.

Anyway, I downloaded the checklist https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/fo...iles/a7012.pdf
    and found that I am in pretty good shape...Thank You SSS! All those SERs are helpful.

But I do have a few deficiencies, most importantly my stash of pyros is expired although, given they are SOLAS certed I imagine they would work just dandy for a while yet. The CG would probably not agree I am afraid. Thee real question is where in the hell did those three years go...but I digress.

I do have a question Brian. How did they handle CL item #14 "State and of Local Requirements"? Did they blow by that or did they pull out another checklist?