Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Name:  IMG_2666.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  118.9 KB

Happiness reporting for Cal 2-27 birthday balloon retrieval duty, ma'am! [gives military hand salute].

All kinds of fun was in the tideline today. This birthday balloon was kept company by several semi-submerged tree trunks.

'Twas a grand day out. We passed these two, having a good sail:

Name:  Stink Eye 2.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  1.71 MB

I took Joan, her brother and my nephew out for a sail on Saturday. We left Berkeley around 11:00 and headed for Raccoon Strait. After puttering around the lee of Angel Island we tried to pick up a slip in Ayala Cove but half of them were out of commission. That meant heading for sausalito. The significant increase in wind velocity, combined with the usual cursing as I put in a reef, plus an inopportune wave, dunked the leeward deck and scared Joan to the point of tears. Opting to be the "good husband" instead of carrying out the "perfect tour" we had a late lunch in Raccoon Strait and sailed back to Berkeley.

My BIL and I took the boat back to the South Bay. It was brisk, but typical all way across to TI.

After coming out of the lee of Yerba Buena island, the wind started to build. I was flogging the main a lot, and still overpowered quite a bit, beam reaching most of the way to Hunters Point. I could see that a few ships anchored sound of Hunters Point were aligned WITH THE WIND, NOT THE CURRENT and I know what that means. So I put in the second reef and rolled up the jib in the lee of the Hunters Point Buildings.

Oh.
    My.
    God.

I have NEVER seen the South Bay like that. It was easily 30 knots, maybe 32-33 screaming around San Bruno Mountain. When it became clear that we wouldn't make it to Coyote Point by dark, I opted to try to sail into Serra Point. It's a couple hundred yards to windward up the channel to get there and we couldn't do it. With no headsail up, and two reefs in the main, we **crawled** to windward. After about 20 minutes in which time we make about 100 feet to windward, I opted to try Oyster Point.

We sailed over to that incredibly narrow entrance and **Barely** got in on the third try.

That was by far and away the windiest I have EVER seen the South Bay.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I took a day off and brought the Wildcat down to Coyote Point, from Oyster Point on Tuesday. It's always kind of surreal to see a body of water absolutely shredded by the wind, with waves ripping downwind and the air shrieking around you...

...and then come back a day or two later and find it calmer than a swimming pool.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default To the Meadows

073019 Looking at the chart sitting at the kitchen table, considering where DM will go next. With an eye to the depth finder, the chart plotter and google maps, names have changed.

Two years ago Tom Patterson told me about a mythical slough, The Meadows. There are photos in the old Delta books of boats anchored in the Meadows. Tom pointed to one and said, “Here we are!" But he was a little hazy as to how to get there nowadays. “It’s been a long time”. Maybe it was a challenge: Go find it yourself.

I've asked around a bit, and people sound a little cagey. They say things like, "Oh, you can't take a sailboat there," "I've heard about that," or "We went there in a motorboat/kayak/dinghy when I was a kid."

So that’s where we’ll go next.

What on the chart reads “Laurel Road”, on Google maps is Tri Cities Road. Huh? Maybe I’ll drive over there first, get a sense of it from the road, see how many sailboat masts I see poking up from the water. For sure go at high tide, just to be safe.

From Owl Harbor in the Seven Mile Slough I go east along the San Joaquin, turn to port at the Mokelumne. Where the Mokelumne splits into North and South I go south, to starboard, up and around and around and around to Snodgrass Slough up and up again until we get to Dead Horse Cut, with Dead Horse Island to port. Up and around into the Meadows. That’s the plan du jour.
    Last edited by Philpott; 07-30-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Name:  C8D6B8CF-6074-46E8-B81A-BDBD0CEFC27C.jpeg
Views: 646
Size:  2.52 MB
    Currently tooling along in 2k apparent behind the longest spit in the world. Soon to anchor where the Duke hung out

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post

I've asked around a bit, and people sound a little cagey. They say things like, "Oh, you can't take a sailboat there," "I've heard about that," or "We went there in a motorboat/kayak/dinghy when I was a kid."

So that’s where we’ll go next.
    Thirty plus years ago, I went there in a 26' swing keel pop top.
    A long trip to get a half mile away from the Sacramento river.
    It felt like I was on the jungle boat ride at the mouse house.
    Best take a snub nose revolver in case any angry hippos charge the boat.

Jackie, If you decide to go, be prepared for a loooong day of motoring in narrow, depth challenged sloughs between levees up and another back down. Be sure to check tides - there are several online Delta fishing (the big activity up there) websites with up-to-date tide info. Take everything you need; there are no facilities. Guisti's Place is just above the Highway 311 bridge - funky Italian. Two bridges: Highway 12 and Highway 311 - check opening regulations.
    I was up there twice in the 1980s in my Newport 30 (draft 5'8") and only found the mud a few times. There's nothing to do up there, but I guess you'd have bragging rights and be able to say you made it up and back. When I was up there were a few "summer time' sailboats anchored near the railroad trestle. They left cars at Walnut Grove and zipped up from there and back in inflatables for weekend getaways. Snodgrass gets very narrow and shallow.
    Another idea would be to go up the Mok and turn into Georgiana Slough, motor back Horseshoe Bend (say hello to Chris and Jon) and continue on to Walnut Grove that way. Overnight along Georgians tied up to a tree. Tie up at the Walnut Grove dock in the Sacramento Rivers and explore Walnut Grove and Locke. Motor/Sail back down the Scramento.

[QUOTE=WBChristie Currently tooling along in 2k apparent behind the longest spit in the world. Soon to anchor where the Duke hung out[/QUOTE]

That is too cryptic for me. Where are you, please? Was the Duke a surfer or John Wayne? You sailors and your esoteric references :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    That is too cryptic for me. Where are you, please? Was the Duke a surfer or John Wayne? You sailors and your esoteric references :-)
    I'll bite. The spit is Dungeness Spit, 4.3 miles in length on the Eastern Straits of Juan de Fuca. Nearby at Sequim is the John Wayne Marina, where the Duke hung out with WILD GOOSE, his converted minesweeper that had headroom on the bridge for the Duke in cowboy boots and Stetson hat.

Question: what notable author, SSS member and SHTP vet recently "vacationed" with his wife at the New Dungeness Spit lighthouse, accessible only at low tide?

Name:  Dungeness.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  243.7 KB
    Last edited by sleddog; 07-31-2019 at 10:58 AM.