Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Jackie, we had a great trip up Snodgrass a few years ago. Took the skiff all the way to I-5. We were the only ones at The Meadows.

Go for it Jackie! Bring plenty of fresh water and food... and a few bathing suits. Had the Buffalo up that way... just short of the Meadows... 10 years or so ago. You will have no problem getting DM there (except for the somewhat lengthy motor up the river). Getting the bridge to open at Walnut Grove makes for an interesting story. Be sure to stop at the Italian restaurant - Guisti's - just after the bridge at Walnut Grove (assuming you get there via the San Joaquin and N Mokelumne River). Google Maps view of the Meadows Slough that shows a number of houseboats... https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2653.../data=!3m1!1e3

Sleddog wins! Al Hughes for lighthouse keeper?? Guessing, because I thought I read somewhere that he lives up here..or maybe Jim Kellam??

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I'll bite. The spit is Dungeness Spit, 4.3 miles in length on the Eastern Straits of Juan de Fuca. Nearby at Sequim is the John Wayne Marina, where the Duke hung out with WILD GOOSE, his converted minesweeper that had headroom on the bridge for the Duke in cowboy boots and Stetson hat.

Question: what notable author, SSS member and SHTP vet recently "vacationed" with his wife at the New Dungeness Spit lighthouse, accessible only at low tide?

Attachment 4601

Quote Originally Posted by WBChristie View Post
    Sleddog wins! Al Hughes for lighthouse keeper?? Guessing, because I thought I read somewhere that he lives up here..or maybe Jim Kellam??
    Nope, not Al nor Jim. If you want a hint, you'll have to re-read post 1681 of Oct.7, 2016. You too can be a guest lighthouse keeper! https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...4-Sled/page169

FYI, New Dungeness Spit is the longest spit in North America. The longest spit in the world is the Arabat Spit in the Sea of Azov. It is approximately 70 miles long. The Sea of Azov is located in Eastern Europe near the Black Sea and has several other spits of about 20 miles in length.

Here's 15 other interesting spits: http://www.theworldgeography.com/201...ble-spits.html

Ah..right! Robert Crawford. My Waggoner cruising guide calls Dungeness spit "the longest natural spit in the world". I suppose this is similar to driving highway 101 and seeing the worlds largest and most famous things.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    Nope, not Al nor Jim. If you want a hint, you'll have to re-read post 1681 of Oct.7, 2016. You too can be a guest lighthouse keeper! https://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showt...4-Sled/page169

FYI, New Dungeness Spit is the longest spit in North America. The longest spit in the world is the Arabat Spit in the Sea of Azov. It is approximately 70 miles long. The Sea of Azov is located in Eastern Europe near the Black Sea and has several other spits of about 20 miles in length.

Here's 15 other interesting spits: http://www.theworldgeography.com/201...ble-spits.html

New Dungeness (yum, yum, I always think of crab when I see that reference) is at the top of Washington State and the Long Beach Peninsula is at the bottom. It's 28 miles from Iwaco the tip. The tourist folks claim it's the longest beach in the world (a dubious claim), but it it impressive since it protects the mainland from the open North Pacific rolling in from way out there.

Name:  Long Beach, WA.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  72.5 KB
    Last edited by Wylieguy; 08-01-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Default Sailing Dura Mater Down the Coast

We will leave from Half Moon Bay following the SSS race on September 12. Maybe after a day of rest. I did enjoy helping Dave Morris unplug that little floatie dock from its danforth anchors last year. Hope he'll let me help again. Then I'll leave the next day, first down to Santa Cruz, then Monterey, then on down.

Name:  Calif coast.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  550.6 KB

I grew up in Orange County, WAY before I started sailing. Maybe I'll sail down there, see what it looks like from the water. Maybe sail over to Catalina Island, see if it offers an appealing option to our 2021 Transpacific Yacht Race, should Kauai still require 14 days of quarantine in late June. What have I learned during recent years? One never knows what tomorrow may bring. Do It Now.

Name:  Charlies Charts.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  304.9 KB

I know that lots of you have sailed down the coast already. But some of you haven't. I'll write about it and you'll learn what you always learn from this thread: If I can do it, so can you.

Dura Mater is a safe tank of a boat with a new rudder. The mainsail is dacron, bought in September of 2013. I have a single burner butane stove that I bought for $11.99. Butane canisters cost about $1.79/each at the Asian food market. I'll rinse out the porta pottie and refill my water bottles. I still have gallons hidden away from last year's ShortPac. I'm going to sail what I got. So, southward goes Dura Mater and her skipper, too.
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-24-2020 at 03:31 PM.

EVERYTHING about this trip will be determined by the weather forecast. I don’t want to be frightened, I want it to be a pleasant trip down the coast. I hope it will be a pleasant trip back up the coast.

I have heard people say, “Oh, it’s the trip back that’s a bash.” Well, I’ve bashed my way back from the Delta three times. What if I had listened to people who said that? What if I hadn’t gone to the Delta because it’s a bash back to the Bay? Well, that would have been silly. I figure this will just be a longer bash.

I love learning new things. First I read Brian Fagan’s Cruising Guide: SanFrancisco to Ensenada, Mexico, 1994. Yeah. Cover to cover. Don’t want to miss anything, then re-read it later and say to myself, “Well, that would probably have been good to know, Jackie.”

Next I started looking at the NOAA forecasts for the Central Coast. It’s different. Yeah. It’s National Weather Service Marine Forecast FZUS56 KLOX. When we use the NOAA site to check out sailing conditions off the coast up here in the Gulf of the Farallones, we use the NOAA SF area forecasts (National Weather Service Marine Forecast FZUS56 KMTR). I realized that I will (duh) need to change my waypoints. In order to do that I looked up the coordinates for NOAA buoys and wave riders all down the coast. Here they are. You’re welcome.

Name:  IMG-8878.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  238.0 KB

Name:  IMG-8879.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  288.1 KB

Name:  IMG-8880.JPG
Views: 611
Size:  276.5 KB

Name:  IMG-8881.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  228.3 KB

Then I got a text from a sailing friend. Not appreciating the complexity of my mission, he wants to know what I’m going to eat. Yeah. And he’s one of my smarter friends. So now I have to go make lists of food to eat.

This is ambitious! Good for you!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

No doubt your experience will be different.
    The insurance rider that covers the boat from one location to another is very good.

Back in July / August 1990, Scoop was sailed south. No wind. Yup, it happens.
    Stopped at Morro Bay to pick up more gas. Wind picked up around Pt Conception. Just as we began to surf with spinnaker up, the mast section failed at exit point for topping lift. The mast and sails lazily dropped, and fell fully reefed on the deck.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 616
Size:  1.71 MB

It took no more than 20 minutes to clean up sails and lines in the water. Next motoring stop was Santa Barbara.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 588
Size:  2.06 MB

Cheers,
    Ants