Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

As Jeff Lynne sang, “It’s been raining all over the world”, even here in the famously dry San Francisco Bay. So when the sky cleared on Tuesday I got it into my head that it would be a good day to sail over to Angel Island for a hike. The forecast was for windiness, and it was indeed windy.

Dura Mater and I left her slip at noon under an itty bitty sail, and were met with big whitecaps in Potrero Reach. Lots of ‘em. Didn’t raise the main much more, and we were deeply reefed when we exited into the bay. Whoooey! It was so windy I decided to not even unroll the jib. We lurched across the bay into Raccoon Strait and I watched as a sole motor boat over at Ayala Cove banged against the docks. The wind was from the north and the Cove was very exposed to it. Did we want to land there today? Maybe not. So I tried to tack around, and was reminded that DM won’t tack without her jib. Okay Okay, so we gybed and lurched home to sail and hike again another day.

Point being: Tomorrow is another day. If anyone would like to sail over to Ayala Cove with a pair of hiking boots, I’ll see you there. It costs $15 to tie up for the whole day, and you will be supporting the California state park system. I’ll monitor 16.

Name:  hiking boots.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  499.7 KB
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-14-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Finally got out of the snow for a weekend !
    Going sailing tomorrow. March 16.
    Might not be much wind, but that's ok.
    Nothing beats messing about on a boat.

I'll monitor 16 after 08:00, probably head out around 09:30
    Call if anyone wants to come along.
    20nine 768 805nine

Nice sailing boots....

What about Sunday ?

BB

Surprise! is sailing on Sunday, probably with family aboard for the first time. It's looking to be light but beggers can't be choosers.

Nice, fellas. Weekend sailing at its best: Escape from the Snow, and a First Family aboard Surprise! Brian, did you sail up from Down Under? I’ll tell my story first:

Dura Mater and I left our slip at 11:15 under a blue sky with the wispiest of clouds. As we approached Raccoon Strait there was a whale spout off to starboard! And another, followed by an actual grey whale. Very nice prescience of the day to come.

Pulled into a slip over on Angel Island, and stepped off into a big pile of … seal detritus. Wearing my brand new clean sailing boots, too. A pile of older fellas had just tied up their cute little double-ended motorsailor. They were walking by as I complained (“AAAAuuuuggghhhh!”) and they all laughed. Then they offered lots of wise-acre comments, such as “What? You thought these docks were for humans?” and “There’s a hose right over there!” etc. etc.

The seals have taken over at least three docks on the island side and the signs read: “Closed” and “Do Not Disturb the Seal Pups”. Huh. How about the mamas and papas? When they slide on and off they pull down the rubber bumpers on the docks. When you arrive at Angel Island the new white rubber bumpers are hanging off, leaving wood. Now Dura Mater’s bow has met its share of wood, but I have some strong opinions about the mamas and papas dragging off those bumpers and detritusizing on the docks.

Once I had changed boots, leaving the dirty ones to smell terrible and dry out, I walked up to the ranger station to complain. The ranger wasn’t fazed. “Oh, really?” And that was that. He did not share my pain. So I paid $15 for the day and left those stupidhead seals behind.

Name:  Angel Island docks.JPG
Views: 484
Size:  340.7 KB

Then I hiked up and around the island until I turned right at the daffodils. Up a dirt path led to this view:

Name:  IMG-5025.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  284.3 KB

Oh yeah. Angel Island is a pretty special place, alright, especially on a beautiful Friday afternoon after a lot of rain. I settled into the sunshine with my back to a pin oak tree and sat quietly until the critters got going again: the big yellow bumblebees, the butterflies, and so many different birds. It was so warm and quiet that I lay down on my jacket and fell asleep. Yes, it was that nice. There were very few people on the island and none around me. There were no more than a dozen sailboats on the bay and the world, as they say, was my oyster.

Greg. Bob. Brian. How was your sailing? Got pictures?
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-16-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Name:  D22601C3-69BC-44F2-A4B2-56ABAA930AE5.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  1.97 MB

What an awesome day.
    Breeze turned out to be better than forecasted.
    Headed out of Richmond with an 8-12 kt northerly. I wanted to go to Red Rock and maybe the Brothers but the ebb was pretty fierce, the wind lightened. Denied. Got as far as R2 QR

Ran off for Raccoon Straight where I sailed into a wind hole. Drifted right past that small grey whale. it was small, the fluke was only 4-5 feet across. Didn't seem distressed, probably feeding where the flood and ebb met. So I drifted down the east side of Angel Island till I caught some wind again on the south side.

Tacked around Alcatraz to starboard. The wind picked up to 15-18 and with some help from the ebb, made the north tower in a couple tacks. Three more and I passed the Bonita channel buoy. Turned there and set a kite for the run back.
    Couple jibes, couple round ups, nothing serious the winches didn't even get wet. Tried carrying the kite by the lee. Jibed the main but not the pole, it's sloppy but doable for a short time. Just wanted to see if I could do it.
    Doused a bit past Alcatraz before the reach back to Richmond.

Found a Mylar balloon floating and got to practice MOB drills. It said happy birthday on it so I had a party.

Fun day
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Love the stories!! Looking forward to hearing about tomorrow's adventures. If it wasn't for waiting until the weekend to catch up on work, I would be out there, too. I did go out Friday with two girlfriends on a Tartan 10. What a pretty boat! We had nice wind up until just past the Bay Bridge where it was also starting to flood so we turned around because one of us had to make a 5:30 meeting at OYC. Our plan now is to have a "girl sail" on Fridays, switching it around to sail each other's boats. The other is a Tartan 3700. Including K, they are all blue boats, too I know this has got nothing to do with singlehanding, but meh, a girl's gotta have her sailing fun somehow. Jackie, let me know if you'd like to join us!
    Last edited by Gamayun; 03-17-2019 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Found a Mylar balloon floating and got to practice MOB drills. It said happy birthday on it so I had a party.
    I sure wish we could ban these. You would not believe the number of them I found one afternoon while doing a plant survey in the Mojave Desert. It was in the middle of the freaking desert and there were at least a dozen caught up in the wash, which will eventually find its way to the sea. They're just so obnoxious and indestructible!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Jackie, let me know if you'd like to join us!
    . Sounds like fun! I’ll text you :-)