Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Maybe Tom and Sue will do some of the SSS races this year (although Tom is pretty competitive and that new boat of theirs is meant for leasure, I think).
    Tom is thinking about SSS races in 2019 but is frustrated PHRF rated CLOUD at 114 the same as a Cal40. That makes it hard to compete.

Sat looks like good TBF race practice weather, light to no wind. I will be practicing keeping the spin flying, in any competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Tom is thinking about SSS races in 2019 but is frustrated PHRF rated CLOUD at 114 the same as a Cal40. That makes it hard to compete.
    I agree with Tom. NorCal PHRF 114 for CLOUD is way out of whack. In New England PHRF it would be 192.

I likely will be out as long as there is wind over 2 kts.
    Brian

At noon in Oakland the sky looked like it might be clearing up, so I got in the car and headed for the marina. The closer I got, the darker the sky got. By the time I arrived it was raining hard, so I sat in the car and listened to Roy Orbison while I ate my lunch. When it stopped raining I went on down to Dura Mater, where I settled in for a cuppa and inventoried my small electrical devices. The garmin uses AAs, the lantern uses Ds, my headlamp uses AAAs, the Pelican flashlight C's etc etc. Every single one uses a different size battery, which means I'll have to buy a separate charger for the bigger batteries.

There I was, cozy as a bug in a rug when I heard a tap tap tap on the cabin. Outside was a geeky kid with a wagon full of toys, standing in the rain with the water dripping off his hood and fogging his glasses. Wait a minute! It wasn't a geeky little kid. It was Bob J. with his brand new jib from Northsails.

Name:  Bob 2.JPG
Views: 723
Size:  470.1 KB

So that was settled. The battery dilemma was put off for another rainy day, and instead I went out into the rain and helped him put it on.

Name:  Bob 1.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  284.4 KB

Figuring out how to attach the battens was a bit complicated, but after that it went right up the way it was supposed to. I left him as it was getting dark. He said he was going to raise it and lower it a couple more times, just because he could.

Name:  Bob 3.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  286.2 KB

Since it may be raining on Sunday, I bought myself some insurance and asked Steve Katzman if I could join him and his crew aboard Dianne in tomorrow's Midwinters. He said, "yes, you will be in charge of the twingers". I looked up twingers and watched a few utubes. Bob says that being in charge of twingers is a nice way of saying that I just have to stay out of everybody's way and let them do their thing, which is to continue winning.

I do know that Ragtime! will be on the water, rain or shine.
    Last edited by Philpott; 01-12-2019 at 03:16 AM.

What fun, new sails. If winds permit Redsky will ride the southerly's into the BYC area and watch the race unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    I agree with Tom. NorCal PHRF 114 for CLOUD is way out of whack. In New England PHRF it would be 192.
    The afore mentioned Tom and Sue are back from the mighty/muddy Mississippi River: Memphis to NOLA on the steamboat AMERICAN QUEEN — a very different boating experience. As for the increasing SSS presence at RYC, we are grateful to our SSS/RYC sponsors Rick and Al, plus Stan R. And Janet T. We look forward to seeing y’all there.

And, as for racing CLOUD in 2019... we will see. I will probably attempt to get a [more reasonable?] PHRF rating, but probably not until after 3BF. I’m fully aware that the answer isn’t to to just complain about it. When I made the initial application, I included photos, a sail plan and copies of the PHRF certificates from New England (192) and Florida (198) for a similar sistership. I was very surprised at the result. If I want it changed, I need to appeal to the PHRF committee with data.

Tom

Sailed today as crew and had a nice time because of the company. However I have to admit that it was cold and ... okay, it was drizzly. Even rainy.

But tomorrow? I'm going to be optimistic and choose to believe that there is only a 40% chance of rain and enough wind to get around on the water. Sailing tomorrow, going over to Pier 1 1/2. Anybody interested in meeting up? Leaving Richmond by 11 am. See you there?

I just worked six days in a row - I'm IN! Does anyone want to sail aboard Surprise! down to Pier 1.5 and back? Send me an e-mail so I know you're coming: BobsailsSF at yahoo.com

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-03-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Just a fine sail today, interrupted by a high-brow lunch at a restaurant in the Ferry Building. Kynntana came along after lunch - nice to see her back under sail.

Name:  DM1H.JPG
Views: 577
Size:  1.34 MBName:  DM2H.JPG
Views: 603
Size:  1.14 MBName:  K1H.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  1.63 MBName:  K2H.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  1.45 MB