Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    The Piper Cub (original) has been touted as being very safe. It will only kill you very slowly.
    Hi, Sir! Wouldn't you like to come visit, stay aboard Dura Mater in Owl Harbor? You can have the V berth and spray as much of my SkinSoSoft as you want all over yourself. I'll collect you from the airport and bake you a pie. But not on the boat. This ain't Green Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Mom's plane was a PA-12 (three place) they named "Mike Piper." When we were little, all five of us would cram in it and fly to the Napa Airport for hamburgers, or to the Nut Tree to ride on the kiddie train (etc.) You couldn't do that today.
    Why not? have the hamburgers become that expensive?

Putting five people in a plane certified for three, and three of those are little kids? Today they'd lock you up and throw away the key.

That visual of the General slathering on Skin-So-Soft is funny. Mosquitoes don't bite the General - he swats them with a Howitzer...

I know this sounds heretical, but some days I think I should sell the boat and buy an airplane. My father was a pilot, my uncle was a pilot, and I have a cousin who's an engineer for Boeing. It's in the blood. Here's a link to a video on YouTube by a pilot that I really like following. The video features the pilot flying all three current models of the CubCrafter airplanes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx48wP517CA

The accountant in me is rearing his ugly head: Looks like $300K to start and unlike us sailors who do maintenance when we feel like it (or have to), FAA makes you do all kinds of stuff at regular hours. Then the ramp fees, fuel, etc. (I have a FBO as a client.) Looks like fun but your Farr 36 is MUCH cheaper and you can sail it anywhere.

s/Your friendly neighborhood wet blanket

I know. I know. I know. But the urge is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by DonAhrens View Post
    I know. I know. I know. But the urge is still there.
    That was just the cutest airplane. The fella had a driver: talked on the phone, indicated he was ready to go, climbed inside and then they were off. That's what appealed to me: having a driver. And the color yellow. Do you think those planes come with a driver? Like optional equipment? $300K doesn't sound like too much for a cute yellow airplane and a driver. I think I'll go hang out at that dock again, if they come back see if I can chat them up. Maybe get a ride. I'll tie Dura Mater up close to the tiki hut so there's room for both of us. Mr Wet Blanket, would that airplane be listed under 1310 Furniture and Equipment or 1390 Accumulated Depreciation? Or maybe 5490 Miscellaneous Expenses. I have a lot of those.

"Driving Miss Jackie." Definitely Miscellaneous Expenses - gotta bury it somewhere!

I floated the plane idea at home many years ago. Like Snoopy on his doghouse, it got shot down.

When is the last time I sailed to Sam's? Well, the last time was when I had visitors from out of town. But the dock might be wide open tomorrow. Would anybody like to join me? [thanks for the photo, Carliane]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Hey now, that's a good idea! I could get a hamburger:

"Sam's Painted Hills Beef Burger $16
    red oak leaf lettuce, organic tomato, house pickles, old bay potato chips

Additions
    Grilled Onions $1. Avocado $2 Cheddar Cheese $2 Swiss Cheese $2 Jack Cheese $2 Blue Cheese $2 Sauteed Mushrooms $2 Applewood Bacon $3"

If my math is right, a loaded one works out to $26!

Questions:
    1) What's the schedule?
    2) Will there be wind?
    3) What exactly is "red oak leaf lettuce"?
    4) Can I order mine with new bay potato chips instead of old ones?

s/ The Galloping Gourmay