Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Sailing tomorrow/ Wednesday: I'm thinking that Sam's is a good bet, middle of the week, not perfect weather. Good to have friends to help position more than one boat, although when I arrive only w/Dura Mater it is usually easy enough. I'll monitor Channel 9 for anyone who is on the bay and decides to come.

I'm in for lunch on Wednesday. I'll probably get a guest dock at OYC for the SHTP seminar that night and then head home on Thursday morning. I have to be in Santa Cruz Thursday late afternoon. Anyone up for a mini-mid-week cruise-out...?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    I imagine some kind of horror @ our approach: Akin to the reaction by the Aztecs upon seeing Cortez landing.
    Now I see that the Ramp has closed off their docks altogether. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Now I see that the Ramp has closed off their docks altogether. Coincidence?
    Those big bad singlehanders.

Ooopsie...

Hey Jackie, I had a nice lunch today at that other place that starts with an S. Next time, I'll prod you for more details. I really don't know the bay that well

It was windy in the slot yesterday. Low to mid 20s all day. I left Berkeley at 10:45am against a 4.4 flood (dang! should've noticed that earlier!) and fought my way over to Tiburon. I almost turned around a couple of times (tankers, gusts, spray - it was not exactly a jaunt on the bay). When I got to Sam's at about 2 it was so windy there the napkins were blowing off the tables and only a few people were still having lunch. Still, I wasn't chased off the dock, and there was plenty of room for my boat. Always room for at least eight good sized boats @ Sam's. Midweek, maybe a bit later in the day, it's still glorious sailing to Sam's.

After the good fun we had closing down the Ramp's docks*, I thought about joining you again yesterday . . . until I came over the hill and got a look at the Bay. I still had a couple projects to do so I opted to wuss out and stay in the slip.

It was either take the rig loose and tip the mast forward (fast for racing to Hawaii), or pull myself to the top of it and replace the wind transducer. (It would be less than a good plan to do those two tasks simultaneously.) The top of the mast was moving around smartly in the breeze so I opted for the re-tune.

That was some serious breeze yesterday - good for you to hang in there.

*Edit - To avoid rumors starting and the SSS getting blamed, here's the full story. The four of us (on four boats 'cause we're weird like that) cruised over to the Ramp for lunch. We saw yellow signs on the docks in front of SF Boatworks but thought the docks in front of the Ramp were okay to use, as they've been before. Brian tied up with no problem but when the other three of us came in, a SF Boatworks guy came down and said we couldn't tie up: "The docks are closed." He was pretty cool about it and explained there had been an injury on the docks and they were being sued, so they had to stop letting boaters use their docks to access the restaurant. He even apologized. We left and went to Pier 1.5 instead, and had lunch in the Ferry building. So yeah, some boater ruined it for everyone else but it wasn't us. Honest!
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-12-2014 at 12:29 PM.

The news about the Ramp is a bummer. I work a block away and was planning to use the Ramp as a place to pick up co-workers for happy hour cruises. Maybe if another large convoy of SSS boats sailed up they'd realize all the potential business to be earned with a working dock....and then see a solitary sopping sod stumbling off each boat. We need those HOV lane fake passengers on occasions like this. Wasn't there talk of a blow-up doll on one of the prior SHTP boats? Maybe he was onto something. Any waterfront oxygen bars around?

So, what options are left for dock-n-dine around the bay? Thanks to this thread, I now know of Pier 1.5. And there was always Sam's.
    I haven't tried it yet, but from the looks of it I think one could use the little public dock at Jack London for any of the restaurants there. And Pasta Pelican across the estuary appears to have a dock.
    What else is around the city front? I can't recall seeing transient day (i.e. non-locked) docks at Gas House or Pier 39.
    Does Berkeley have a public dock for the restaurants there?
    Emeryville? Isn't there a Trader Vic's or something out there? Dockable?
    What's in Sausalito? Scoma's has a dinghy dock, I think. But is there anything further up Richardson, preferably with less wave action?
    San Rafael, anything accessible up the canal?
    There must be a Latitude 38 article somewhere detailing these things.

I pull the Yacht Club card and have docked at the clubs on the estuary and along the water front (OYC, EYC, GGYC, SBYC, etc.). Planning to try Sausalito Yacht Club soon during one of the Friday night jazz concerts in the park. Does the SSS confer reciprocity?