Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    It was windy in the slot yesterday. Low to mid 20s all day. I left Berkeley at 10:45am against a 4.4 flood (dang! should've noticed that earlier!) and fought my way over to Tiburon. I almost turned around a couple of times (tankers, gusts, spray - it was not exactly a jaunt on the bay). When I got to Sam's at about 2 it was so windy there the napkins were blowing off the tables and only a few people were still having lunch. Still, I wasn't chased off the dock, and there was plenty of room for my boat. Always room for at least eight good sized boats @ Sam's. Midweek, maybe a bit later in the day, it's still glorious sailing to Sam's.
    Hey Jackie, let's try this again when I can get my directions straight and the tide is not so gnarly for you! I started breaking things the next day coming back from the estuary with 32 knots in the bay. I was anticipating the wind, but not the problem it would create for my jib. That turned into a wild ride, but it was good to figure out how things work (or don't) on Kynntana...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I pull the Yacht Club card and have docked at the clubs on the estuary and along the water front (OYC, EYC, GGYC, SBYC, etc.). Planning to try Sausalito Yacht Club soon during one of the Friday night jazz concerts in the park. Does the SSS confer reciprocity?
    No, SSS is not a PICYA member club. That's also why it doesn't issue membership cards - to avoid any confusion.

Even if you're a member of a PICYA-affiliated club, reciprocity is normally for visiting clubs out of the area. Most local clubs are pretty accommodating so it may not matter, but I wouldn't try it at the St. Fancy for example.

Edit - I'm guessing you're a member of HMBYC. That's probably considered "out of the area." The fancier clubs might want a letter from your club (again this is normally a traveling thing). I don't tend to run in those high-brow circles so I'm not sure.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-15-2014 at 01:19 PM.

I spoke with the Sausalito Yacht Club manager awhile ago when we were considering starting there for HMB (rather than using coordinates instead of a startline - which was fun in its own way: "are we over yet?" "yeah, I think so!" "Um, I dunno! D'you think you're over yet? Because if you're over, I'm over!" "I'm not sure!" This between Steve Wilson on his Westerly and me on Dura Mater). The manager, Dave Martel, was very nice, and I'll bet we could talk our way into the dining room there if we were polite and comb our hair. But if you're interested in trying I'll call ahead. How about a week from Wednesday - June 25? Anybody else?

That's getting close to race day but unless I schedule a last-minute visit to Easom's rig shop or something, I could do that.

SYC's galley is closed on Wednesdays but there are at least a half-dozen eateries in walking distance if SYC allows us to dock there. The limit is two hours and you need to be a member of Bay Area yacht club and fly your burgee. Check SYC's "cruise-out" page for details.

Bob, I don't think I've ever been mistaken for highbrow before, which is one of the reasons why I could see joining the HMBYC -- you gotta appreciate a club where the dogs roam free and keep the floor clean of spilled popcorn ;-) We have a helluva lot of fun on race days, too!

Jackie, I'd love to join you, but I'm not sure I'll have my jib thing figured out and fixed by then. Will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    SYC's galley is closed on Wednesdays but there are at least a half-dozen eateries in walking distance if SYC allows us to dock there. The limit is two hours and you need to be a member of Bay Area yacht club and fly your burgee. Check SYC's "cruise-out" page for details.
    Over this past weekend Herb Brosovsky, who keeps his Hunter somewhere in Sausalito, told me that the Trident restaurant has a dock for boats. I found this online: "If you want to Boat and Dine, we have an 84 foot dock available. Please call before you arrive. Use of our dock is by reservation only." Sounds more formal than the Ramp, but what the heck ("gluten free pasta upon request" - TransPac participants and Pac Cuppers consider carbo-loading for the future; If someone can persuade the General to sail over from Alameda, his lunch is on me).
    Last edited by Philpott; 06-15-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    If someone can persuade the General to sail over from Alameda, his lunch is on me).
    ...which reminded me of the old camp skit involving peanut butter and an armpit. You're welcome.

I can get a $15 hamburger at the Trident - that will work. Let's see, 27+38+30 = 95. I guess we'll have to raft up, especially if others can come.
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-16-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ...which reminded me of the old camp skit involving peanut butter and an armpit. You're welcome.

I can get a $15 hamburger at the Trident - that will work. Let's see, 27+38+30 = 95. I guess we'll have to raft up, especially if others can come.
    Surely the Trident employs valets? Like at Gar Woods on the north side of Tahoe - young people employed by the restaurant to wait and help the boats dock at that (beautiful! floating! public!!!) pier. No valets? Ah well, rafting up is fun.

I love that we can move these posts so smoothly from armpits to valets.

A raft up would be nice...let's call ahead so we don't look like the single-hand Armageddon again

Bring your longer dock lines and extra "fenders" (local), "bumpas" (NE), "Marina Del Rey Racing Stripes" (SoCal).