Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 333940414243

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

My float plan for tomorrow is to sail down to the Westpoint Marina. They have a Friday Fun Series race starting at 6 ish. So, To the South!

Leaving around 11 am tomorrow from Richmond, catching the last of the ebb toward the south bay, then slack is at 1142 followed by an attractive 3.3 flood. Got two spinnakers ready, one to put up and then down, the other to put up and then down again. I'll be swimming in nylon and spaghetti below, but it's better than dousing followed by the perfect aft wind and me saying "Awww, really?"

Turns out there won't be free hot dogs after all, but maybe food trucks, maybe not. Huh. The Westpoint Yacht Club is under construction, ready in Spring 2022, just not this Spring 2022. That's okay, because DM is liveable without any of that civilized stuff. No electricity needed. No water. No shower.

Brad Belleville tells me that, while DM's 210 phrf may be competitive against those other fat boats, they all have something we don't have: Local knowledge. I programmed the race marks into my garmin and notice that each one is surrounded by 2' of water. I asked Brad, "What do you think?" and he said, "You're used to being in the mud, right?"

So there you go. I'll let you all know how it goes and I'll post photos, too. And yes, I know their number:

Name:  Tommy and Michael of Vessel Assist - Copy.JPG
Views: 969
Size:  266.6 KB

Redwood City mud is more forgiving than Delta mud.

When is the last time I sailed over to Sam's and sat on the deck? A long time ago. Tomorrow/Wednesday is supposed to be sunny. Woo hoo! I'm gonna go over there, tie up and eat some food. Why don't you come, too? BYOB = Bring Your Own Boat. See you there.

Hmm, which boat should I sail?

I'll bring your millionaire's tape in case you want to tape up the spreaders before the cioppino arrives.

Green is good, right?

Name:  mtr.png
Views: 649
Size:  14.3 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-07-2023 at 08:21 PM.

If you decide to sail your little yellow boat over, you might need DM to tow you back to RYC: big ebb @ 4:30 - 3.4 knots. Anyone else?

https://vimeo.com/393085123

What I Saw was Philpott going sailing yesterday. It was a nice afternoon but a bit chilly.

I opted to put the door back on Surprise!'s head (kids aboard Sunday) and re-rig the little boat's vang:

Name:  Vang.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  2.53 MB

Soggy Sled, what do you notice here? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-09-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Maybe put some millionaires tape around the mast jack so it doesn't eat the vang.

Thank you, Greg, yes I used about $85,000 worth of Bob's millionaires' tape on the edges of my spreaders, after wrapping them in rubbaweld. Used all sorts of unused muscles, was sore the next day. Huh

Sailing tomorrow Tuesday 052323. If anyone wants to meet up, post here with a suggestion. Otherwise I'll probably just sail over to Sam's, see how much more expensive it has gotten since last time I was there. See you out there? I hope so.

Name:  From Ted Hoppe - Copy - Copy.jpeg
Views: 511
Size:  229.5 KB

When Dave Hodges first came out to measure my mainsail, he asked me to remind him whether DM is a Cal 27 or a Cal 2-27 so he could put on the appropriate decal. My previous 9 year old sail was off the shelf, and the Cal insignia would have cost $50 extra, so I never had it on my sail before. Dave laughed, said it was part of the deal. So, look for us out on the water, give a wave. Thank you to Ted Hoppe for the photo.
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-23-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Going out tomorrow, not racing, just sailing out of Richmond. Where? Dunno. Maybe see some a youse out there? Chance of rain? Why I have a cabin.