Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Rafting up at the Trident is something we Sausalito-based boats never see. If you plan to do it, bring lots of extra "bumpers" and be prepared for a dance. Every Sausalito ferry kicks up a nice wake. Matter of fact, it's very rare to see a larger boat tied to the floating dock. Sometimes small runabouts. Boats tied to the SYC dock suffer a similar fate. There's just really no place in downtown Sausalito to tie up. Pat B.

With less than two weeks to our PacCup start at that point, I'm not going to want to risk it - thanks for the "local knowledge" Pat. Plan B?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    With less than two weeks to our PacCup start at that point, I'm not going to want to risk it - thanks for the "local knowledge" Pat. Plan B?
    Clipper Cove. The harbor master there will let us in and out the gate . Food choices: the food carts or the Treasure Island cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanikai View Post
    There must be a Latitude 38 article somewhere detailing these things.
    Indeed. A quick scan suggests this may be a little out of date - I know options have changed here in the Vallejo/Benicia area for example. But here you go:

http://www.latitude38.com/features/d...l#.U6B41vldWSo

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Clipper Cove. The harbor master there will let us in and out the gate . Food choices: the food carts or the Treasure Island cafe.
    Well, if you go to Clipper Cove, I could certainly let everyone in and out of the gate! I have an extra gate key, too. I could even try anchoring for once...(that was TMI, wasn't it?).

FYI - the part for my jib should arrive by Friday or earlier. I called this old man who runs a boat yard in Rhode Island and who used to make the Freedoms way back in the day. Sure he has the part and will send it along. "Do you want my credit card?" I ask. "Nope, don't take them. Just send a check when you can." Niiiice

My Dyneema Dux (supposedly low stretch/good UV protection) lifelines also just arrived today. Will be learning how to splice very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Indeed. A quick scan suggests this may be a little out of date - I know options have changed here in the Vallejo/Benicia area for example. But here you go:

http://www.latitude38.com/features/d...l#.U6B41vldWSo
    This is great info! Thanks for posting. I'm heading to Schoonmaker Point Marina on Monday to get List Marine to install a relay on my engine because I generally like it to start up when I turn the key. I'll ask the marina about us coming in for a visit and see what kind of room they have.

And there's this (* means private dock):

The Ramp* - American (Br,L,D) $$
    www.ramprestaurant.com
    (415) 621-2378
    Limited space at SF Boat Works
    Last edited by Gamayun; 06-17-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Pat is quite right about the bumping/surge factor at the Trident and SYC. (Georgia tested SYC several years ago.) Which is why we head down towards Schoonmaker At Sausalito Cruising Club there are some long ramps along the beach that are part of the marinas. You might just call Schoonmaker for a lunch landing. Say...maybe List Marine is willing to host you? Yes, great restaurants there, too.

Emeryville offers the terrific dim sum place on the point, and Diana is a great harbormistress at Emery Cove. No yacht club necessary.

As far as reciprocal privileges go, as members of yacht clubs with slips (HMB, RYC, OYC, EYC etc.) one can usually go into another YC for no charge for lunch. The Frantic is much more lenient now when you show up by boat than they used to be. More and more clubs are beginning to charge for overnight slips though.

Presidio YC..um, Travis YC at Horseshoe Cove may be open daily. Marina Bay offers Salute and a sandwich shop and Rosie the Riveter plus a few more joints. That would be a call to a harbormaster.

A lot of the Old Geezer groups sail to Berkeley and eat in the Clubhouse, Skates and Hs Lordships. San Francisco YC is PRICY for docking but a lovely quiet venue compared to the bustle of Sam's.

South of The Ramp is Bay View Boat Club with its own dock space and liberal hours. Lovely garden, too.

Really, a lot of venues!

Thanks, Lucie. That is, indeed, a good list to have.

Surely not everyone is in Hawaii?! Sailing to the Ferry Building tomorrow in case anyone wants to sail there, too. Inexpensive lunch somewhere near. Motor in. Motor out. Remember the surge.

Hey, Jackie, did you find anyone? I'm jonesing to sail Kynntana. Be back tomorrow (7/22). Let's get together soon so I can tell you all about these fantastic sailors, surfers, farmers and friends in Hanalei:-)