Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailing Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    After lunch we could sit in the cockpit, hoist WILDFLOWER's spinnaker, and watch heads turn.
    My first boat was a 15' West Wight Potter. Dura Mater. I bought it from a fella in Minnesota for $2500. His wife told him he had to sell it NOW, so he drove it down to Madison, Wisconsin and backed it into my driveway. He actually backed it into my car, Miss Lucie, but the dent in her trunk was worth having A BOAT! I decided that I should learn how to raise the mast and sail before launching her, so I dragged the tiny boat on the tiny trailer onto my front lawn and did the Wildflower thing: raised the mast and then the mainsail. The wind came up, and we sailed across the front lawn until we came to a stop against the maple tree. Years later a neighbor told me that they had all watched me and it hadn't surprised anyone, since they knew we were from California and "a little different" anyway.
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-19-2014 at 07:17 PM.

The Pottter Yachters have had a great thing going locally for years - just getting together and Pottering at a nice variety of Northern California spots. It looks appealing, although I might want to sail a bit faster.

http://www.potter-yachters.org/PY2014Schedule.pdf

Sled, my boom had an uneven spot above the vang attachment for awhile, visible only when you got the light at the right angle. It turned into a crack on each side, running about 1/4 to 3/8" up each side from the aftmost bolt on the rigid vang attachment. We had to take it easy during Pacific Cup to keep from breaking the boom. J/92's of Rags' vintage have been breaking their booms at this spot - four of them so far - so I wasn't surprised. I could have it sleeved on the inside to preserve the recent Awlgrip job, but the boom is already quite heavy for its size. Buzz B is backed up for a couple months so I'm going to try to nurse it along. I rerigged the vang today to attach farther aft - it looks pretty good so I may go out for the OYRA race tomorrow. Racer X has been encouraging me to show up.

However, if a couple boats want to cruise out somewhere tomorrow, I could be persuaded to stay inside the Bay. We'd need to hear from you in the next couple hours (before I set my alarm clock).

This morning's update for the GOF: "Variable winds less than 5 kt becoming WSW around 6 kt in the afternoon." Plus they're starting the race just after max flood(?). So I'll be sailing out of RYC around 1000 and heading down to Alameda instead. I'll stop into Alameda Marina to fill out my trailer storage paperwork, then nose around some old haunts and find my way back to Richmond late this afternoon. If you're out there and want to say Hi, I'll be monitoring Ch. 9.

Rags had other ideas about how she wanted to spend the weekend. After sailing along with Rich for awhile (see Skip's thread), I saw Mike Mannix and HARP when I reached Alameda Marina's guest dock. It sounded like they could use one more boat for the Women's Sailing Seminar, being held this weekend at Island Yacht Club. Ten minutes later, five ladies walked up with big smiles. "Are you Bob?"

I had one group aboard for Estuary sailing practice on Saturday and another group for a Bay cruise on Sunday. Each group had its own instructor so I did my best to be quiet, take pictures and be the "deck candy." (Okay, the last was only wishful thinking.)
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-27-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Bob, you missed a really fun OYRA race. They gave us the shortest of the course options (just out to R8 and back), there was enough south in the wind that we didn't have to short-tack going out, and enough of it to be interesting. I introduced a new foredeck hand to the South Tower Demon and provided a good photo op for the Red & White tourists.

I've thought of offering the 'Caw for the Women's Sailing Seminar. But I didn't know if they'd let me stay on board and keep an eye on things. Maybe next year if I don't have a conflict.
    Max

Tomorrow's Sailing Saturday. Anybody up for a meet and greet? Tuesday when I tied up to Pier 1 1/2 I spoke with a fella with Pier 1 1/2, 3 and 5" embroidered on his shirt. Sounds like Pier 1 1/2 will undergo some kind of improvement/replacement soon, and so it may be unavailable for awhile. Time to use it before we lose it!

NWS:

Saturday:
    S wind 19 to 27 kt, with gusts as high as 38 kt. Showers likely.

Sunday:
    N wind 9 to 13 kt. Mostly sunny.

P.S. Starting a couple days ago, I'm having to refresh/reload these SSS Forum pages constantly to see new posts. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Last edited by BobJ; 10-24-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Not for me, Jackie. I am free this Saturday and was in the mountains last weekend, so hadn't sailed Kynntana in 2 weeks, but when I looked at that forecast, the fair-weather sailor wimped out and decided to catch up on other things. Take it easy out there if you go.

BTW, your post about sailing the West Wight Potter across your front yard makes me laugh out loud every time I read it. That was great.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Starting a couple days ago, I'm having to refresh/reload these SSS Forum pages constantly to see new posts. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Not me, but then I click on "new posts" from the forum link so only the latest ones are showing up anyway.

For us in the South Bay this is perfect for a trip to Sams. Spin run up the Bay, dock at Sams and hang out until the NW fills in or 2 am forces you out. Then Spin run home.