Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Racers' logs

Yes - respectfully (and assuming it was mostly tongue-in-cheek) -full stop on any SHTP vs. PacCup stuff. There has been lots of crossover between the two races and that will continue, both with skippers and with volunteers. For example Sylvia Seaberg was a huge help on the SHTP R/C in 2008 and is PacCup's chief inspector this time. Not to mention Jim and Mary.

I've talked to two PacCup skippers who plan to race the SHTP next time (plus me hopefully). An SSS guy is loaning me his new satphone because I discovered the data port on mine is inop (and he had to drop out of PacCup at the last minute). The spirit is great with (and between) both races.

I was having engine problems on Saturday or I would have been at the start. I'm receiving every report. Just yesterday two "media reps" stopped by the boat. One of my comments to them was "those are my people" (referring to the SHTP fleet). So you get the idea.

Again, I assume these comments are mostly tongue-in-cheek and so in that vein . . . did you know that Pacific Cup has a concierge service? (Not tongue-in-cheek - they really DO!) It's a fleet of new loaner BMW's and there's a concierge desk at RYC. I used it Saturday afternoon to get a ride back to KKMI to get my car. I wanted a ride in the blue coupe but got the sedate white sedan instead. I think I'll complain to the management. Oh, and PacCup has an app - I'll race the SHTP next time if you get an app.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Pacific Cup has a concierge service? It's a fleet of new loaner BMW's and there's a concierge desk at RYC. Oh, and PacCup has an app - I'll race the SHTP next time if you get an app.
    Bob, you sure know how to undermine your own argument. You sound like a Texas high school football coach explaining how Bubba's daddy and uncles got those new F250 trucks. And of course the SSS has its own concierge service: how do you think Galaxsea and Mouton Noir got their bows pushed so they were headed out of the marina? Dave Morris' Calypso "bumped" them out, that's how! Let's see a 525I do that.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

In this year's race are they still doing the wire-the-transmission-shut thing? I looked in the RRC/SIs but didn't see that. But I might have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Bob, you sure know how to undermine your own argument. You sound like a Texas high school football coach explaining how Bubba's daddy and uncles got those new F250 trucks. And of course the SSS has its own concierge service: how do you think Galaxsea and Mouton Noir got their bows pushed so they were headed out of the marina? Dave Morris' Calypso "bumped" them out, that's how! Let's see a 525I do that.
    Yep, been undermining myself for years. (When I've absolutely hit bottom, I keep digging.) Now how about that SHTP app? (No, the YB one doesn't count.)

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Yep, been undermining myself for years. (When I've absolutely hit bottom, I keep digging.) Now how about that SHTP app? (No, the YB one doesn't count.)
    I already had a complex about their app. App envy, if you will. Maybe we need to sell some crazy-priced party tickets to subsidize the creation of the app.

Also, what would an SHTP app do? Somehow force you to get only 3 hours of sleep per day and provide .mp3 playback of auditory hallucinations so you can share the racers' experience?

Now there you go about the party tickets . . . ice sculptured swans with a bit of addleberry sherbet in them to cleanse your palate between courses. You think that stuff is FREE?

Regarding that app, I think you're onto something - skippers could start playing it a few days ahead of the start to get into the flow of life aboard.

(I see Jackie's new thread. David, can you move this nonsense over there?)
    Last edited by BobJ; 06-30-2014 at 10:50 AM.

And here I thought the Pac Cup was just a race where some confused SSS skippers think they're doing the SHTP but the Nevada Department of Public Health buses a bunch of their mentally unstable transients to RYC at the last minute and they stow away aboard the fancy race boats as "yacht crew".