Thread: Fruits and Veggies in Hanalei

Default Fruits and Veggies in Hanalei

Hi All,

What's the deal with bringing fruits and veggies on the boat to Hanalei? I suspect based on the inspections at the airport, it's illegal, but is there anyone that comes out to the boat and inspects? I would guess that keeping them on the boat and not taking them ashore would not "contaminate" Kauai and actually be safer for the Kauai environment than dumping them in the garbage you give to the committee boat.

Soooo, if anybody can tell me what you are supposed to do and what people "actually" do, I would appreciate it. I am planning to singlehand home and don't want to have the boat stocked with things that will keep and have them confiscated or get fined just for having them.

Thanks,
    John
    Dream Chaser

John:
    The whole thing seems pretty much hit and miss, as far as getting checked over on arriving in Hanalei. I guess they could but most probably they would not....

Some years I have had to pay anchoring fees. In fact, I think the RC arranged for the local official Fee-Meister to meet with us all on the beach one year to process us at the same time - Might be a good idea for them to do this again, seeing as we are using their facilities .... does no harm to stay in their good books - far preferable to having one 'thrown' at us!!!

.....I did have a visit on the boat from some kind of official in '06 while waiting for the SHTP guys to arrive, (the only year I will ever have a chance of arriving first) but I don't recall him returning again during the 3 1/2 weeks I was there afterwards.

Would suspect that you would be fine in keeping stuff on the boat....If you were to HAVE to dispose of it for official reasons, the only correct way, of course, is to present it to an Agriculture or Quarantine official for incineration......but really, all the Kauai guys are interested in is collecting harbour fees, and given no reason to, I would not expect them to bother doing the rounds of the boats - another good reason to get them to meet us all together on the beach one day.

The grocery store just up the hill in Princeville has everything you could want as far as provisioning is concerned. No need to bring stuff from the mainland, for the ride home, unless you need the extra ballast for the race!!

On second thought - Bring lots!!

Jim/Haulback

Thanks Jim,

That's about what I figured would be the case. Definitely not good to throw it overboard a day out, as it will just drift ashore and defeat the purpose. If the Ag guys want to come aboard and confiscate it and burn it then so be it. I don't plan to have a ton anyway.

Don't worry, I will have plenty of ballast on board. 7700 pounds in the keel alone, so a couple extra heads of lettuce or cabbage won't really be noticable.

Anchoring fees???? Interesting. Since the waters are federal, I didn't think they could legally do that. Mooring fees, yes, because they are supplying and maintaining the mooring, but they are not supplying the anchor or the sand it's set in? Sort of like the anchoring regulations off Santa Barbara. I don't think those are legal either, but if no one challanges it I guess it will continue as is. I will just look at it as a beach usage fee or park fee and I don't have a problem with those. :-)

You may not be first this year, Hecla and Dogbite will probably take care of that for all of us, but you should be ahead of me!

Thanks for the info.

John
    Dream Chaser