Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aug. 16/17 DRAKES BAY RACE

Default Aug. 16/17 DRAKES BAY RACE

I have a question. How is the OYRA/SSS Drakes Bay Race weekend going to be scored? OYRA uses a different division break system than the SSS and some SSS boats are sailing OYRA with a crew. There are SSS boats registered with OYRA who will sail this race as part of their OYRA series. Does this mean they can't register/score in the SSS version of the race? What about Starts? Separate OYRA/SSS Starts? Thanks, Pat Broderick "NANCY" (OYRA and SSS member)

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Good question, I forwarded it to our Race Chairs/Race Info.

From Allen Cooper:

This is Paul's race but
    I suspect there may not be many boats that would not have done shorthanded OYRA anyway. As I read it all short handed boats will be starting in E so fleet assignments will be as per usual. If a boat is shorthanded they can be in both fleets at the same time as scoring will be done separately by each organization. If a boat usually races crewed in OYRA and in SSS they will have to choose. In life you have to make some hard choices but this should not be one. Choose the way to race where you have the best chance of improving your season standing or that is the most fun for you or flip a coin.
    This is an experiment and after the race and after the feed back we will decide whwthr to continue to include the race.
    Allen

I guess I need to read the SI's and check Jibeset.

I want to double dip. Why can't I check in for both and just be late for my OYRA start?

Anyone finish tonight?

I stayed on the south side of the course and I think I did OK. I was still trying to round the island arount 1830, and crossed tacks ahead of J-35 Pegasus by 2 boatlengths. Wind at the island 3 - 5 kts, veering strongly to the N. as I was rounding. Pegasus was one of two other SH boats in my Division. We were both well ahead of the crewed 1D35 Alpha Puppy. "Do you think we can finish?" "Probably not." Shortly after they furled their headsail and fired up their motor. I followed suit about 15 min later , and we both motored around the back side of the island. I thought it was not physically possible to sail >25nm in the light air in less than 5 hours. Good visibility and very calm seas at the island. No whales spotted, but lots of jellies, the big ones with the rusty orange middles and little purple by-the-wind-sailor jellies. And I saw an ocean sunfish for the first time, not a big one, only about 3' long.

I had AIS going as did several others . The track misses most of the detail of tacking out and rounding.

Motored home and had all sorts of A/P - Alternator - weird battery voltage things going on, and also inadequate fuel as I didn't imagine I would have to do that. Crossed under the GG Bridge at about 11:40, retired, heard the RC say they had finished one boat, I think the one with the blue spin that had passed me about 3 nm short of the island. Got to the slip around 0230 after motoring and sailing part way to conserve fuel. Next time full tanks at start!

Default Life Choices Made For You By Others

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    From Allen Cooper:

This is Paul's race but
    I suspect there may not be many boats that would not have done shorthanded OYRA anyway. As I read it all short handed boats will be starting in E so fleet assignments will be as per usual. If a boat is shorthanded they can be in both fleets at the same time as scoring will be done separately by each organization. If a boat usually races crewed in OYRA and in SSS they will have to choose. In life you have to make some hard choices but this should not be one. Choose the way to race where you have the best chance of improving your season standing or that is the most fun for you or flip a coin.
    This is an experiment and after the race and after the feed back we will decide whwthr to continue to include the race.
    Allen

I guess I need to read the SI's and check Jibeset.
    Yes, I guess we need to "make some hard choices but this should not be one. Choose the way to race where you have the best chance of improving your season standing . . ." I guess some life choices are made by others for us when they schedule a race late and pile it on top of another race. Why can't the SSS run its own Drakes Bay Race as it does all its others? In setting up the ocean races there is a planned effort to avoid overlaps since the number of races is fairly low (IYC, BAMA, OYRA, SSS, the two Monterey Bay races) and the number of regular entrants is also low. Pre-planning has always made sense. I will just point out that there are TWO shorthanded divisions in OYRA, so how can "all short handed boats [start] in E?" My OYRA Division is "F", not "E".

I'm glad Pat raised the initial question. I've been curious too about whether I can be scored in both series, and how the starts will be handled.

I am confident that there's a reasonably equitable way to make this work. Perhaps the OYRA shorthanded starts should be eliminated, and after the modified OYRA sequence the standard SSS sequence would run. It looks like all the regular OYRA shorthanded boats would be starting with their competition except for Moonshine, who would be starting in SSS Sportboat. That may or may not be an advantage for him. Or, if Moonshine isn't interested in being scored in SSS, he can start in SSS class F with Pat and me and the rest of our OYRA class.

Max

PS - and as Tchoupitoulas wrote, SSS regulars such as Starbuck and Whirlwind who are racing OYRA crewed this year certainly ought to be scored in both races if they choose to go shorthanded. Unfortunate that they'll be late for their OYRA start.
    Last edited by Critter; 07-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Where are SSS season standings? Decisions need to be made.

Hoowhee! . You Wileyguys and competitive racers are sure whiney. I'm just happy there's a real live singlehanded event coming up and that it's offshore. Shorthanded means well but it's not singlehanded now, is it? For those of us who don't play well w others, a race for singlehanders put on by an organization that is called the Singlehanded Sailing Society is such a peachy idea that I'm not going to complain about a thing. I'm just going to sign up and do it. Oh, yeah! I've already registered. Have you?