Thread: All over but the notes!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All over but the notes!

The party's over...the trophies are packed into yachts headed home, provisions are stowed, weather gribs are being analysed right and left.

As Race Chairs, we have two duties left: Set the date for the next race and reserve the condo.

We've picked Saturday, June 25, 2016. HUGE EBB. Start at 1000. And the party will be Saturday, July 16, 2016. So we're reserving the Condo for Ten Days beginning Day 9 of the Race, July 9.

I have a few ideas of things that worked and things that to change.

SSS Seminar Series year round, every year. Repeats of some topics regularly.
    Cassette ERudders only.
    Yellow Brick. Is it worth the $5,700 cost?
    Require SSB. A significant part of the race communication.
    Seriously throw out the Minimum Equipment Requirement section. Racers from past years agree on what to add. SSS should set the rules, not any other group.
    One honcho. One decision-maker. No "co's."

What do you say?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes
    Like David said.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes
    What they said

I would add for future planning: cooperation with the Nawiliwili Yacht Club. They hosted many of us there on Sunday and it was a very nice evening. The commodore, Jim Saylor, asked that their club be considered as a site for the 2016 awards banquet.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    I would add for future planning: cooperation with the Nawiliwili Yacht Club. They hosted many of us there on Sunday and it was a very nice evening. The commodore, Jim Saylor, asked that their club be considered as a site for the 2016 awards banquet.
    What he said!

Yes, and the video was great for those of us who do did not have the wisdom to move to the Bay Area
    No, think Black Feather. The smaller boats do fine with over the transom replacements. My Capri 25 has a modified J24 rudder that works well
    Yes, Yes ,Yes - The ONLY way people knew I was still out there and functional was though the brick when my communications died. In fact it
    might be worth it to pay for some sort of 2 way communication as a back up for all.
    No - Small boats do not have the power to drive an SSB and the cost is quite hefty
    No - Modify as makes sense, but keep them
    Yes - Multiple decisions at multiple times by multiple well intentioned people caused some unnecessary problems this year.

I cannot even begin to thank those who worked to support the racers enough. Their concern, creative thought, warmth, and time made this an adventure I will always recall with great gratitude and fondness. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    The party's over...the trophies are packed into yachts headed home, provisions are stowed, weather gribs are being analysed right and left.

As Race Chairs, we have two duties left: Set the date for the next race and reserve the condo.

We've picked Saturday, June 25, 2016. HUGE EBB. Start at 1000. And the party will be Saturday, July 16, 2016. So we're reserving the Condo for Ten Days beginning Day 9 of the Race, July 9.

I have a few ideas of things that worked and things that to change.

SSS Seminar Series year round, every year. Repeats of some topics regularly.
    Cassette ERudders only.
    Yellow Brick. Is it worth the $5,700 cost?
    Require SSB. A significant part of the race communication.
    Seriously throw out the Minimum Equipment Requirement section. Racers from past years agree on what to add. SSS should set the rules, not any other group.
    One honcho. One decision-maker. No "co's."

What do you say?
    The SSS seminars are great, but for people out of town simply recording them and putting them on uTube would be very helpful...I think some were and some were not this year.

A cassette erudder would be very, very hard to fit on my boat, a double ender with outboard rudder.

Everyone I know loved the yellow brick tracker.

The SSB was a huge part of the enjoyment of the race for me. Used SSB's are available at very low cost. Anyone who plans to sail to Hawaii should be capable of installing one.

Yes.

Yes.

Joe, curious what are you talking about when you say that the "modified PHRF rating need to be looked at?"

Since my belt buckle receiving "speech" was so lame, I just want to say again that this whole experience was a high point in my life that I would hugely recommend it to anyone contemplating it.
    Thanks to both Jak Mang for crewing back with me and the race committee - that I did remember. Others are Dave King, Lee Perry, John Boye. It would not have been possible without help from these three (Along with my wife Charlotte)
    I hope to do the race again now that I have somewhat of a clue.

Gary - s/v Elizabeth Ann
    Last edited by WBChristie; 08-31-2014 at 03:54 PM.