Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All over but the notes!

Default All over but the notes!

The party's over...the trophies are packed into yachts headed home, provisions are stowed, weather gribs are being analysed right and left.

As Race Chairs, we have two duties left: Set the date for the next race and reserve the condo.

We've picked Saturday, June 25, 2016. HUGE EBB. Start at 1000. And the party will be Saturday, July 16, 2016. So we're reserving the Condo for Ten Days beginning Day 9 of the Race, July 9.

I have a few ideas of things that worked and things that to change.

SSS Seminar Series year round, every year. Repeats of some topics regularly.
    Cassette ERudders only.
    Yellow Brick. Is it worth the $5,700 cost?
    Require SSB. A significant part of the race communication.
    Seriously throw out the Minimum Equipment Requirement section. Racers from past years agree on what to add. SSS should set the rules, not any other group.
    One honcho. One decision-maker. No "co's."

What do you say?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes
    Like David said.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    No
    No
    Yes
    No
    No
    Yes
    What they said

I would add for future planning: cooperation with the Nawiliwili Yacht Club. They hosted many of us there on Sunday and it was a very nice evening. The commodore, Jim Saylor, asked that their club be considered as a site for the 2016 awards banquet.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    I would add for future planning: cooperation with the Nawiliwili Yacht Club. They hosted many of us there on Sunday and it was a very nice evening. The commodore, Jim Saylor, asked that their club be considered as a site for the 2016 awards banquet.
    What he said!

Yes, and the video was great for those of us who do did not have the wisdom to move to the Bay Area
    No, think Black Feather. The smaller boats do fine with over the transom replacements. My Capri 25 has a modified J24 rudder that works well
    Yes, Yes ,Yes - The ONLY way people knew I was still out there and functional was though the brick when my communications died. In fact it
    might be worth it to pay for some sort of 2 way communication as a back up for all.
    No - Small boats do not have the power to drive an SSB and the cost is quite hefty
    No - Modify as makes sense, but keep them
    Yes - Multiple decisions at multiple times by multiple well intentioned people caused some unnecessary problems this year.

I cannot even begin to thank those who worked to support the racers enough. Their concern, creative thought, warmth, and time made this an adventure I will always recall with great gratitude and fondness. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by sdpaine@cox.net View Post
    Yes, Yes ,Yes - The ONLY way people knew I was still out there and functional was though the brick when my communications died. In fact it
    might be worth it to pay for some sort of 2 way communication as a back up for all.
    No - Small boats do not have the power to drive an SSB and the cost is quite hefty
    No - Modify as makes sense, but keep them
    Yes - Multiple decisions at multiple times by multiple well intentioned people caused some unnecessary problems this year.

I cannot even begin to thank those who worked to support the racers enough. Their concern, creative thought, warmth, and time made this an adventure I will always recall with great gratitude and fondness. Thank you all.
    Hi Doug, Actually we spoke to YB about transmitting a message to you to proceed to Niwiliwili direct via the YB-3 model. It was capable of displaying short messages. They were concerned you would not see it as they had no way to trigger an audible alarm, hence we opted to have USCG attempt comm. via VHF. The units also had a large collection of canned messages that could be sent from the boat. It could have been useful in your case but we did nt pay for that service so did nt make a point of the availability. It was re assuring to see you pushing the DEADMAN button fairly frequently. I imagined it was part of an exercise routine you had going on Jack.

Brian
    Last edited by brianb; 07-24-2014 at 12:17 AM.

My .02 with elaboration

meh - maybe a leadin of more basic how to rig/modify and sail your boat single handed in the off years? simply repeating the curriculum seems somewhat redundant.
    No - lest my remarks and experience be misinterpreted, to be clear: My recent experience proved to me that a pintle and gudgeon system is not workable nor safe to mount for my boat/transom/e-rudder blade size & leverage in any kind of sea state. Mileage may well vary if any of these factors are altered. Or if you are willing/able to wait long enough for a calm period. Is it my opinion that a cassette is a more workable all around solution? Emphatically yes, and that will be the next evolution for me. Would I recommend a dinghy style pintle and gudgeon system if asked? Emphatically not. But that's only my opinion, in no way do I feel it should be a blanket mandate or that a poorly engineered cassette would be necessarily more effective [NB-admittedly anecdotal reports from Tiburon's pacup rudder failure indicate that the emergency cassette system ripped it's mounts off] or that it's the only solution. The real question that should be answered by the inspector/committee is: is the E-rudder design workable and deploy-able in the anticipated conditions. Soap box over.
    Yes - and would second the thoughts about using it as a 2 way communication backup.
    No - honestly on the fence about SSB, and will probably bite the project off with more time and funds. I think it is a valuable communication link, and to some degree a safety issue. That said, IMHO, it is at this point a nice to have redundancy [from the safety perspective], and an unnecessary expense and electrical burden for the smaller boats.
    No - keep them. Why did the Coasties tow me in instead of yanking me off the boat? In no small part because I was in their words "the best prepared customer they had in 23 years of service". Why was that? because the MER's met or exceeded their expectations.
    Yes- while I suspect this is always an advanced cat herding exercise, a clear designation of who has the con is better.

Lastly, I think all who were there on Sunday would agree with Steve that deepening the connection to Nawiliwili YC is a excellent idea.

DH
    SV Domino

As a ground person...YES WITHOUT HESITATION TO YELLOW BRICK.
    Tightening connect to Nawilliwilli Yacht Club...For Sure. Our Sunday evening with them was wonderful. I think their support could be invaluable in many ways. Jim Saylor was incredible in helping folks guide in the Pogo boat. However if the awards dinner (as was bantered about) is to be there then some careful logistics need attending to since most folks stay down in Hanalei area.
    There should be just ONE Race Committee Chair, with veto power, who knows how to appropriately delegate, with really good minions that have expertise in specific organizational and sailing skills.
    Will the (collective) Race Committee be sending something to Nawilliwilli to thank them for their BBQ on Sunday night? Maybe an SSS and SHTP bergie? Tee shirt? Hat? Vest? PLEASE someone make sure they get recognized. Susan (Mouton Noir)