Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All over but the notes!

I do not consider a piece of flan the size of a ping pong ball a dessert that I should have to pay $60 for.
    Michael Jefferson

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJefferson View Post
    I do not consider a piece of flan the size of a ping pong ball a dessert that I should have to pay $60 for.
    Michael Jefferson
    Wow. No argument there.

The Tree Mai Tai this year was simple and well loved:

Per serving:

1oz dark rum (Barcardi cheap)
    1/2 oz Cocoanut rum (Malibu)
    3 oz orange juice
    2 pineapple juice
    1tsp grenadine.
    Chill

Pour over ice if you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    One thing I think should be considered is to have some system in play whereby the term `seaworthy` is taken seriously. If someone wants to enter the race in a boat that is clearly designed as a day sailor they should be warned at the get go that their boat will under go a rigorous inspection to ensure that it exceeds its original design parameters. Capri 25`s should clearly not be sailing to Hawaii. Doug prepared his boat very very well and made basic structural improvements and still had a lot of trouble. Sorry to pick on Capris but they are obviously a lightly built daysailor or perhaps weekender. I can`t help worrying that the whole event will be compromised if someone dies because of an inappropriate boat. .......
    ..... I`m sure this subject has been tossed around endlessly but unfortunately I`m not in the club and I think it is the elephant in the room. I would be interested to hear what Doug thinks of this rant or Barry or Kevin.
    I strongly agree with Peter's concerns as expressed above. I very much agree with his concerns that one accident could perhaps cause the termination of the race. It might also come as a surprise that I would not do the race in a stock Capri 25 although the first Capri 25 to sail the race took 2nd overall. That said, the difficulties I had were not caused by any design flaw in the 25, they were caused by a Nylox nut on the rig backing off ( I reused one rather than replacing it with a new one), and by the failure of the fully self-contained DeLorme tracking device. My decision to continue the race despite the damage was based on my confidence in the boat and its ability to handle rough weather (it had come through 5 days of full gales the year before with no damage at all) and with its ability to be easily driven with a much reduced sail area. I have great confidence in the boat.It is also true that over the years I have done a great many structural modifications to the boat to strengthen it. I have cut out the keel support structure and made it bulletproof, glassed in bulkheads that were formally free floating and added additional ones, put in two 4" cockpit drains (they were necessary), rebuilt the fore-cabin structure to take a Bomar hatch etc. Jack is a long way from a stock Capri 25 . While the hull construction quality is good (I have cut pieces out and they are in great shape), the general build quality from the factory was certainly 'down and dirty'. That said, it is also true that Barry has enough confidence in his 30 to race to Hawaii and return and he certainly has the experience in the race to make good judgements.

The question really becomes on of how do you determine if a boat is suitable for the race? Peter approves of the Dana 24 but not the Capri so it is not a matter of size. I would sail Jack in the race again, but not a stock Capri 25.The nearly stock Merit 25, Moore 24, or Santa Cruz 27 all have a long and successful history with the race. It is a really difficult question that I do not have an answer to.

FYI - I will do the race again, but not in Jack. Not because the boat is not up to it, but because I am not. The next race I do will be in a boat I can stand up in so my body (especially my knees) are not mince meat when I finish. I will continue to sail Jack until the day I can no longer hoist a sail, I really enjoy and trust the boat, but just not to Hawaii.
    Last edited by sdpaine@cox.net; 07-28-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Michael, the dessert was hapua, coconut pudding.

Sadly, the servers were overly generous.

I'll be really interested to see a $20 menu.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mewes View Post
    Sadly, the servers were overly generous.

I'll be really interested to see a $20 menu.
    The servers were overly generous?? That's a joke right? But regardless...
    A $20 menu...yes I suspect something of quality wouldn't come in that low, but likely many of the expenses associated with the $60 would be offset by low to no overhead costs by using Nawilliwlli. No room rental, no paying staff etc. allowing more resources to go to a quality meal and venue. Plus it would likely involve a great volunteer effort by the Nawilliwilli club members. You DO know how well volunteers get paid, yes?

Susan (Mouton Noir)

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

1.5 oz of bottom shelf rum in a 6 oz drink? FFS.

I would not mandate a "cassette" since there are many different ways to skin a cat.

I would not require immersion suits.

I would not rule out or automatically rule in certain boats. Even the ocean capable boats have failures.

I don't know how other tracking devices compare with Yellow brick.

I would not mandate SSB, but encourage some method of two-way text or voice comm. To get more people doing SSB, add a few seminars dedicated to this.

I like the seminars focused biannually on SHTP and in-between on Long Pac.

Hooking up with NYC for banquet and races would be great. Would like to see an informal race from Hanalei Bay to Nawiliwili Harbor with NYC members on board. A Le Mans start swimming from shore would be awesome.

Formal roles/responsibilities, designated people, liaisons and schedules/rotations would be good.

Me thinks the modified PHRF ratings need some fine tuning.

Post race meeting/BBQ with racers only, even if it's back in Oakland would be nice.

Thanks for the great adventure Ben, Lucie, Brian, Dave, George, Bill, & Cliff and all the volunteers and racers. Really enjoyed the schedule and events at CYC pre-race.

Joe B.
    Last edited by Submarino; 08-03-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdpaine@cox.net View Post
    The question really becomes on of how do you determine if a boat is suitable for the race?
    After looking at some of the smaller boats entered in prior races, I added the following when I was R/C:

"10.04 - In preparation for, or as a result of the yacht’s inspection, the Race Committee may request a more recent survey than that provided with the yacht’s race entry. Additional information, including more detailed photographs of the yacht, the offshore history of the yacht and other yachts of the same type, and additional information about the skipper’s experience may also be requested. Skippers entering smaller yachts without offshore history/pedigree and first-time entrants are encouraged to submit their race applications early to allow sufficient time to comply with any such requests."

I encourage future SHTP R/C's to use this paragraph and request additional information for any boat about which they have concerns. In one case we made sure the surveyor knew the boat was entering a solo Hawaii race.

My heartiest congratulations to the SHTP "class of 2014." I'm not bashful in saying I should have raced to Hanalei again this year instead of Kaneohe. I had a good time but you guys had better conditions. We even had to drop out and motor due to very limited time in Hawaii and commitments back home.
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-03-2014 at 11:50 PM.

What's up with weather headed toward Hawaii. I heard that a hurricane or at least a tropical storm is headed there? What about the returnees? Are they in risky areas? Susan (S/V Mouton Noir)