Thread: The former Dura Mater (Cal20) is having a great new life at Corinthian Yacht Club

Default The former Dura Mater (Cal20) is having a great new life at Corinthian Yacht Club

A friend and I parked Kynntana at Sam's yesterday for a quick afternoon sail and lunch. There was a 30 min wait so we walked over to CYC. Got to talking with a super nice guy named Randall von Wedell. Ended up having brunch with him, too. He showed us Jackie Philpott's formerly named Dura Mater, and another Cal20 (Diana) that were just inaugurated on Saturday into their sailing fleet. He said the now-named Jeanne was Christened after one of their members, Jeanne Lacy, an excellent sailor and racer. He wanted me to pass on this information and that they are using these boats to really grow their Women's Sailing program. I thought this was high compliment so I'm posting here on SSS so others may hear about it, too.

Jackie, I'm probably getting some of these details wrong, so feel free to contact him, if you'd like to know more. You might also consider talking to the women's group about your exploits singlehanding the Cal20, too.

Pretty cool, huh?

Carliane
    s/v Kynntana

Wherever I sailed in that Cal 20 some guy on a much larger boat would hail me to say that the best times he ever had sailing were on his own Cal 20. Always, when I asked why he sold it, the response was that "the wife" wanted a more comfortable boat, a less "wet" boat. "Where is she?" I would enquire, playing along. I knew the answer: "Oh, she came out a couple of times.""
    Last edited by Philpott; 08-05-2014 at 08:30 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Wherever I sailed in that Cal 20 some guy on a much larger boat would hail me to say that the best times he ever had sailing were on his own Cal 20. Always, when I asked why he sold it, the response was that "the wife" wanted a more comfortable boat, a less "wet" boat. "Where is she?" I would enquire, playing along. I knew the answer: "Oh, she came out a couple of times.""
    Or, "they wanted a boat with a sit-down head". "Where are they?" etc.

Why "chicks that sail are hot."

RAGS doesn't leave Hono until the 9th (and even that is dependent on Iselle and Julio). Jim and Jen Vickers caught me walking the docks last Sunday staring longingly at boats. At least we have Jessie's wedding on Sunday to keep me distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Jim and Jen Vickers caught me walking the docks last Sunday staring longingly at boats.
    Awww. I remember the feeling. When I moved back to California from the midwest with my family in 2007 I did the same thing. I sold my boat in Wisconsin and didn't have one here. No boat! Aaagh! Finally I found the Cal 20 on M Dock, sold by a mouth doctor (ortho-something-ist). Came home and proudly told my dear, long suffering, non sailing husband: "I bought a boat!". Long drawn-out sigh. "Of course you did", he said.