Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome Home Galaxsea

Thanks for that David

Still looking for signs of Scaramouche. Last seen drag racing with Julio?
    R Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stodieck View Post
    Still looking for signs of Scaramouche. Last seen drag racing with Julio?
    They should get into Neah Bay tonight or may be there already.

Quote Originally Posted by jakmang View Post
    They should get into Neah Bay tonight or may be there already.
    Correction: tonight

thanks for your interest. Scaramouche reached Neah Bay after 18 or 19 days (depending on who you ask). We certainly sailed harder at the beginning as Julio chased us for much longer than expected. But we started with some absolutely great sailing and kept the pedal down until we were sure the water was cold enough to protect us from the storm. This took longer than expected due, apparently, to some water temp anomalies. We used about 35 gal of fuel in total and had plenty in reserve. Arriving at the convergence of the traffic lanes at the entrance to Juan de Fuca provided some technical interest as our arrival was (of course) in thick fog. Everyone (the deep sea ships) behaved themselves and we had no real trouble altho occasionally we had to 'back or stop her' to let someone earning a living get past. With 4 people on board watches were blissfully short, weather was unbelievably warm unlike my last trip north and the boat performed, as usual, without issues. Star of the trip was Kevin Jones who decided not to race at the last minute in Alameda due to boat issues. Raconteur, musician, chef, very strong, and cleaning madman, what else could you want in a crewman? (Actually I can think of a couple of things but this is a family forum.) Scaramouche is now, regretfully, for sale. And life goes on (so far) cheers, Peter and a big thank you to everyone who made this race a real milestone in my life and the lives of my family

Getting north of Lat 25 had no meaning this year. It was equally warm at 30 north. Rather more important to get east. The sea surface temperatures must have been similar in 1992 when Iniki charged due north from Kauai. Hope this means that we get some rain around here!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Robert Stodieck; 09-02-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    R Sailor