Thread: Hurricane Julio nails a sailboat at latitude ~29, north of Oahu

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hurricane Julio nails a sailboat at latitude ~29, north of Oahu

Quote Originally Posted by peter00 View Post
    To answer Susans question....extra tropical cyclones in the area of Hawaii are talked about but very seldom seen.
    "A 42-foot sailboat with three people aboard is taking on water in Hurricane Julio and asking for Coast Guard help. The Coast Guard on Sunday said the vessel Walkabout is disabled in 30-foot seas with 92-115 mph winds about 414 miles northeast of Oahu. The Coast Guard said a 661-foot container ship Manukai has been diverted and is en route to help the sailboat."

One of the "The Great Pacific Race" rowboats was also nicked by Julio yesterday but appears to be fine.
    Last edited by Robert Stodieck; 08-11-2014 at 06:52 AM.
    R Sailor

Default Update

HONOLULU — Aug 11, 2014, 3:59 PM ET
    Associated Press

A container ship crew on Monday rescued three people who were stranded in a sailboat off the Hawaiian islands for about 24 hours as Hurricane Julio battered their vessel with giant waves and high winds that ripped off one of its hatches.

The sailors made it on to the container ship at about 8 a.m., Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer Gene Maestas said. They were in good condition, he said.

.... "It was so far away we could not send a helicopter that could make the journey," Petty Officer Melissa McKenzie said about why the Coast Guard had to coordinate the rescue with the container ship.
    R Sailor

Thank you for your continued negativism towards our race. Eight years is a long time to bag on something - got anything positive/helpful to contribute?

Edit - Lest some newer SSS'ers think my comment to Mr. Stodieck was out of context, search for posts under his name going back to 2008. You will find a number of criticisms and sarcastic comments such as this: "I have owned boats, I prefer a good toothache and a traffic fine . . ." and this, referring to the 2008 SHTP fleet: "Most impressed with this years crop of near disposables and Alan's one-way-wonder."

Three long-time SSS'ers (former officers) tried to get Stodieck to get involved and race but he preferred to stay behind his keyboard and take shots at those of us who were.

So there's the context of my response to him. I just found out yesterday that my boat won't be back from Hawaii for another MONTH so I'm a bit crabby . . . but Robert, at least I own one and sailed it there (for the third time).
    Last edited by BobJ; 08-12-2014 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    "Most impressed with this years crop of near disposables and Alan's one-way-wonder."
    BTW Crabby, this statement was intended to be a heart felt compliment to Alan and the others. I am most impressed by the people who do this race competently in the smallest and lowest budget boats. I will take a Moore 24 any day . . . and preferably a pre-sold one.
    R Sailor

“Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way.”

― Steve Martin

Default Scaramouche

Scaramouche is off shore based AIS. Does anyone know her position?
    R Sailor

Default something needs to cool the overheated Earth

The hurricanes are lining up from here to Baja. The search continues for a passing lane as we sit on Kauai provisioned for a return.

Peter was right: This situation is seldom seen.

Speaking of Peter, it appears Scaramouche is at least several days ahead of wandering Julio and sailing fast.

I look forward to hearing Walkabout's story. For example, i wonder how they were monitoring weather as they sailed south? What communication systems did they have and did they work when needed? Perhaps Latitude will investigate and report...

Steve
    S/V Frolic

Quote Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
    Peter was right: This situation is seldom seen.

Speaking of Peter, it appears Scaramouche is at least several days ahead of wandering Julio and sailing fast.

I look forward to hearing Walkabout's story. For example, i wonder how they were monitoring weather as they sailed south? What communication systems did they have and did they work when needed? Perhaps Latitude will investigate and report...

Steve
    S/V Frolic
    Glad to hear the SHTP in-transit vessels are doing well and hope the rest are able to return soon.

I read that Walkabout was heading toward Honolulu with an eventual destination to Singapore (?). No info on when they left California, but it was probably at least a week before the storm had really formed. They also didn't have an EPIRB. They had sent the distress call with a "Delorme device." The article below shows the condition of the vessel before the rescue though some articles stated the boat was later dismasted.

http://gcaptain.com/sailboat-dire-si...iverts-assist/

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    They also didn't have an EPIRB. They had sent the distress call with a "Delorme device."
    I haven't found a clear statement about the EPIRB yet. They are apparently using the Delorme to track the abandoned boat.

That homemade looking covered "patio" on the stern was obviously the last thing they needed during that event.
    Last edited by Robert Stodieck; 08-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    R Sailor