Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vallejo 1-2

You may have heard that Dianne, Express 27 #0, resigned in Saturday's race. Here is what happened: Dianne and Legs, Moore 24
    #29, had found a stronger piece of flood and broken away from the pack and were white sail reaching up the right side. As we approached the oil tanker pier at Point Davis the flood increased and Legs barely made it around the pier. Dianne was close behind but was being swept into the pier pilings. Dianne jibed and went right, fended off the pier into a dead end. I was being swept into another pier by 3 knots of current. I tried to angle out under sail but was losing ground. I grabbed the anchor bag, the anchor held with about 50 yards to spare before being swept under the pilings. I got the outboard attached to the stern, it started right up and got out of there. The anchor, ready to deploy in a zipped duffel bag, saved my boat. Dianne has minor scratches and I was unhurt.

Lots of time for photos in Vallejo 1/2 2014 (slow motion)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...76369718285409

thanks SSS for another great year of sailing

Larry
    Bullet Express 37

Default Nice photos, if only I had permission to see them ?

Quote Originally Posted by lbaskim View Post
    Lots of time for photos in Vallejo 1/2 2014 (slow motion)

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...76369718285409

thanks SSS for another great year of sailing

Larry
    Bullet Express 37
    Apparently these are not viewable by the public.

Larry, I got the pictures okay - and downloaded several. Thanks for posting them. My camera decided to stop focusing (it's a point-and-shoot little thingy) so I don't have any pictures to contribute this time around.
    Pat B.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Apparently these are not viewable by the public.
    you have to be logged in to Google+ or whatever to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by skatzman View Post
    You may have heard that Dianne, Express 27 #0, resigned in Saturday's race. Here is what happened: Dianne and Legs, Moore 24
    #29, had found a stronger piece of flood and broken away from the pack and were white sail reaching up the right side. As we approached the oil tanker pier at Point Davis the flood increased and Legs barely made it around the pier. Dianne was close behind but was being swept into the pier pilings. Dianne jibed and went right, fended off the pier into a dead end. I was being swept into another pier by 3 knots of current. I tried to angle out under sail but was losing ground. I grabbed the anchor bag, the anchor held with about 50 yards to spare before being swept under the pilings. I got the outboard attached to the stern, it started right up and got out of there. The anchor, ready to deploy in a zipped duffel bag, saved my boat. Dianne has minor scratches and I was unhurt.
    You give a lot of credit to your anchor, Steve, but I'll bet you yourself had to hustle to deploy it! Not easy to do everything without panicking. Thanks for sharing the story and it's good to hear that you and Dianne escaped unharmed.