Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vallejo 1-2

She admonished me for running her through the mud. That's one of the reasons she's not kept there any more.

Word-wise, I still like "bucolic."

Thumbs up Updated wind forecast for Sat

Somewhat good news about the wind for Sat. The Sail Tactics Outlook forecast is calling for 5-8 knots at the start, rather than <5 knots like it was a couple of days ago. NOAA is predicting 9 knots at 11:00 am in the starting area. San Pablo Bay remains really patchy in the Outlook forecast, with patches between 5-10 knots. I just sailed from Vallejo to Richmond last night and there was plenty of breeze at around 10-12 knots, which was within 2 knots of what the model had predicted. The model also predicted the lovely left shift all the way across San Pablo Bay (from east-to-west), which kept from having to tack.

Here's the 1000-m resolution forecast map for the start tomorrow morning. This will certainly change in tomorrow morning's forecast and the Central Bay 200-m resolution will look different because it's more resolved.
    Name:  Screenshot from 2014-10-10 08:10:23.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  17.4 KB

So I have a scoring question. If 5 Express 27s constitute a Division, why don't 5 Wyliecats?

Since WylieCats only have one sail, you need twice as many of them to make a division.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    So I have a scoring question. If 5 Express 27s constitute a Division, why don't 5 Wyliecats?
    Probably because Al sailed singlehanded.

Al had an engine oil leak Saturday morning. I invited him to come with me but the car part of it wasn't working out - so there were only 4 WylieCats.

A division is determined by the number of boats that SIGN up, not the number that SHOW up.

We're just speculating on here. Did you ask the R/C?

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Probably because Al sailed singlehanded.
    I'm looking at the Saturday RESULTS and I find Al's boat listed among the PHRF 111-150 fleet as DNC. I also see 4 other Wylies listed: 1 dnf/3 finished. I don't know about "singlehanded". It's the Vallejo 1-2. All boats are singlehanded on Saturday. They have the option of sailing singlehanded on Sunday. That's what I did, although I ended up not finishing with almost all the others.

If the logic that he didn't show up on Saturday means no Wylie Division, then the Express 27s shouldn't have a division on Sunday since there were not 5 on the starting line.

Pat and I did talk after the race Saturday. He's right that signups, not starters, are what count for one-design, and so there should have been a WC30 class even though Bandicoot didn't make it. It appears that there was a hiccup in Jibeset's sorting of registrations, in that those who indicated they were going solo both days were not grouped with those who registered as SH Saturday and DH Sunday.

In my opinion it's a mistake to set up Vallejo registration with these options. After all, everyone is scored together Saturday, and everyone is scored together Sunday. If somebody wants to go SH Sunday, just let them enter "None" for the crew name.