Thread: Vallejo 1-2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Vallejo 1-2

I'm hoping life stuff and the weather let me try this race for the first time. Silly question for advanced planning: do I need to reserve a slip at Vallejo Marina? Or do we just swarm the place and bumper-boat'em in against the side ties?
    The SIs from 2013 don't provide any clues, so I assume the latter course of action.

Vallejo YC (not to be confused with the city marina next door) has usually been able to accommodate everyone who wants to squeeze in. A few lucky early arrivals get slips; everyone else rafts up in the fairways. After you finish and get your sails down, enter the harbor and follow the instructions of the nice people on the dock.

Slips are usually available at the city marina if you prefer. You pay a fee at the harbormaster's office.

A word of caution. The Vallejo Municipal Marina was badly silted in last year and for this year's YRA Great Vallejo Race. I haven't heard anything about it being dredged. If you decide to pay for a berth make sure you can get in and out. I hope some of our Vallejo members will share their knowledge for Oct. 11. The Vallejo YC has silting problems, too - especially at the entrance. But, I think the Sunday morning low of 2.4 feet makes it possible for all but the deepest draft boats. The big boats will probably anchor out in the strait. The overnight raft-up is part of the SSS Vallejo 1-2 fun, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    I hope some of our Vallejo members will share their knowledge for Oct. 11. The Vallejo YC has silting problems, too - especially at the entrance.
    Just had lunch with the VYC manager, John. He said the VYC entrance has been dredged but nothing else yet. Apparently the guest dock is pretty shallow too. The Vallejo municipal marina has been nearly completely dredged from what I understand but you might want to check with the harbormaster to make sure. A safe bet is probably just tying up in the VYC raft. My boat is a the end of A-B fairway and I have never had any problems transiting with a 5'4" draft.

Thanks Mike. Here's a link showing the areas of the municipal marina that are being dredged. Dredging continues through the end of October so not all of these areas (in red) may be dredged yet:

http://www.ci.vallejo.ca.us/common/p...?itemId=101077

Regarding Vallejo Yacht Club, Rags draws nearly six feet and I only had trouble in the entrance, which has now been dredged - but it's been over a year since I was in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Rags draws nearly six feet and I only had trouble in the entrance,
    Oh dear! did she actually get mud on her keel? Did you admonish her for getting dirty?

admonish. what. a. great. word.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Vallejo YC (not to be confused with the city marina next door)
    Ah, I should have checked google satellite. Much larger facilities in Vallejo than I assumed for some reason. Thank you.

There will be 1 or 2 VYC inflatables directing traffic outside their marina. When it's your turn, be sure to line up on the middle of the entrance from some distance out before entering. It will be Flooding in the afternoon, so be aware of drifting to port as you get near the entrance. Keep away from the seawall outside the VYC marina.

If possible I like to back into the raft-up so in the morning it's a straight shot out, but that's not always possible due to the number of boats coming in near the same time.

Another caution. The east side of the Mare Island Strait is badly silted up. You'll probably see 1 or 2 boats finding this out. Watch your depth and favor the middle or west side.

Thanks, Pat! Glad I put a D/S on Lanikai.

FYI... The Vallejo 1-2 ASIs posted on Jibeset seem, to have references to last years and this years race???
    Am I missing something?