Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Shorthanded Midwinters 2014/2015

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    In retrospect I think it was good that Bobbi didn't specify singlehanded vs. doublehanded divisions and divided it by rating instead. Some boats switched during the series (racing solo for some and DH for others) and I think that flexibility was welcomed. .
    I respectfully disagree (okay, maybe not so respectfully). I'll bet the people who switched from singlehanded to double did so just because sailing singlehanded against shorthanded is such a disadvantage. I will do it again next year, but only if there is a singlehanded fleet. I like people. Really I do. At the end of the sail.
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-18-2015 at 09:32 AM.

[QUOTE=Philpott;10557]
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-18-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Now that shorthanders have put a good number of boats on the line for this series, we can ask for a singlehanded division next time. The division splits are BYC's call. We agree - it wasn't easy competing with doublehanders on such short courses.

I just saw a poster for the Delta Ditch Run. RYC/SSC is offering PHRF divisions for shorthanders in this 67-mile downwind romp to Stockton. Due to the need for constant navigation in the narrow river it's not a race I would do solo. DH with a good navigator/trimmer would be a kick though. It's the same date as one of the OYRA races but if you're not doing OYRA this year, check it out:

'Da Ditch's 25 Year Anniversary
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-18-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks Bob J for getting the word out on this series. I had a blast! Thanks a lot for the hats, Bob and Al, my wife immediately confiscated the green one!

As far as switching from single to doublehanded, I did so to accommodate a friend wanting to join me for a race, and my wife wanting to spend valentines weekend with me. I don't think either provided an advantage. Though I do see it could be otherwise with more experienced crew.

I didn't go into this expecting trophies. I wanted to sail, and learn to sail better.

Next!
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 02-18-2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Thank you Bob, I should have tried singlehanded for the last race. I'd be willing to go next year singlehanded but someone I know very well wouldn't like it.
    Perhaps someone we all know very well needs her own boat. Maybe a pretty little Alerion with a blue hull? That would earn her points in Johnston heaven.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 02-19-2015 at 12:29 PM.

That's the real one - a Herreshoff Alerion 26 - vs. the more popular and also shapely Schumacher AE28. Nice!

Not all my boats have been blue - here's my last one, still being happily raced in Kaneohe Bay by the guy who bought it from me in 2002: