Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Long Pac - who is going ?

Count me in as a definite maybe....

That's some rock-solid commitment right there.

Do we want to have a LongPac prep seminar like we used to have - show and tell, answer questions, etc.? It would also be nice to realign the equipment rules with the SHTP. If you geared up for LongPac, all you needed to add was e-steering and SSB or satphone and you were set for the SHTP. This could be accomplished by trimming the SHTP list, not by adding to the LongPac list. (Yeah I know, I'm a troublemaker.)

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Do we want to have a LongPac prep seminar like we used to have - show and tell, answer questions, etc.? It would also be nice to realign the equipment rules with the SHTP. If you geared up for LongPac, all you needed to add was e-steering and SSB or satphone and you were set for the SHTP. This could be accomplished by trimming the SHTP list, not by adding to the LongPac list. (Yeah I know, I'm a troublemaker.)
    I'm all for this, but then all I would have to do is show up. So if it can be easily put together, it would be great to have a LongPac seminar some time early in the next year. It would also be nice to hear "LongPac stories" from others who have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    I'm all for this, but then all I would have to do is show up. So if it can be easily put together, it would be great to have a LongPac seminar some time early in the next year. It would also be nice to hear "LongPac stories" from others who have done it.
    Me too. Early next year would be super. Time to hear, learn and plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack View Post
    Me too. Early next year would be super. Time to hear, learn and plan.
    I am 100% in as a preperation for the 2016 singlehanded transpac. I would love to have a prep meeting early next year to iron out the gear/equipment requirements with an eye out for the 2016 race.

Very excited.

Jiri

I'm planning to sign up DH. As a newbie, a seminar would be awesome...

Back willing we'll be back either single or DH for Pac Cup practice.

Default Late March 2015 Evening Seminar ?

We will assemble a seminar with a focus on the equipment requirements for the Long Pac and the Single Handed Transpac. The location will be targeted for the Oakland YC. If you have a particular topic you are interested in let us know.

Regards,

Brian Boschma

Seminars would be great so skippers can hang out and get to know each other and share information about the race.
    Also one year we had boats arrive at GGYC the day before and a large group went out to dinner.

Discussing requirements for Longpac and Transpac will be great as well. Many requirements should be off the table for discussion but it would be good to hear opinions on requirements that could be changed.

Let me know how I can help out.

Dirk - TIJD First 30JK

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    If you have a particular topic you are interested in let us know.
    I'll bite and here's the top-of-mind questions I have for the LongPac as someone new to the race.

1) Strategy - is there one? Or for a displacement boat like mine in the 'usual' winds is it more or less just straight out and back.
    2) Comms plan - VHF relay going to be ok or should I plan on renting a satphone? I do not have SSB onboard.
    3) Safety check - I've started prepping for items that I know about following OYRA guidelines. Is there a SSS safety check I can request or should I do it through OYRA? Also, I have not completed the required Safety at Sea seminar. Only hint of it being offered that I can find is maybe at Strictly Sail. Is there one sooner or one sponsored by SSS that I can attend?

Thanks!
    Mike