Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Long Pac - who is going ?

Quote Originally Posted by sunol View Post
    Also, I have not completed the required Safety at Sea seminar. Only hint of it being offered that I can find is maybe at Strictly Sail. Is there one sooner or one sponsored by SSS that I can attend?
    Mike, last year when I had to get the SAS seminar completed, I looked at the US Sailing website or Googled it to see which YC in the bay area was doing one. They fill up quickly, so reserve soon when you see it on the calendar. I only took the one-day seminar at EYC, which I think was suitable for the Long Pac. Brian, it would be helpful to know when the two-day training would be required.

Link to the 2013 LongPac RR&C's

I took the full ISAF Sea Survival course in preparation for the 2014 Pacific Cup. This course was so far-and-away better than the SAS courses that I highly recommend it. The big difference is that it's hands-on. You put on all your gear, jump in the water and right an inverted life raft, then climb into it. You actually cut rigging (as if you lost your rig) and see what works. You put out fires with a fire extinguisher, burn some SOLAS flares, etc.

If this peaks your interest, here's where you sign up (See the ISAF Sea Survival tab):

http://www.sfyc.org/training

There are two sessions currently scheduled for weekends in March.

Last edited by BobJ; 01-28-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Default ISAF Sea Survival Course

+1 for the ISAF Sea Survival course. Sue and I both did the course over three days in October at SFYC. As BobJ said, the hands-on experiences were invaluable. After you have jumped in the Bay with full gear and boots, and then swum around righting and climbing into a liferaft, you quickly learn why you never want to be in that situation.

Even if the course isn't required for you, go take it.

Tom - CLOUD

Thx - will try to sign up for that instead!

Regarding strategy, there are a lot of good stories and theories. I'm sure folks will share during one of the meetings.
    But to give you an idea. Last LongPac I raced against Rick in Lightspeed (Wylie 39 Custom) with a rating of 81. My C&C 110 (36ft) had the same rating. Rick stayed close hauled to have the shortest route to the longitude. I decided to sail lower and faster. I turned around 2 hours ahead of Lightspeed but had a forward of beam reach back. Lightspeed had a little better angle as he stayed North. Keep in mind that it was very windy (25+ most of the way). Lightspeed was just ahead of me at the Farallones. I finished 17 minutes ahead of Lightspeed only due to the 5 hour no wind at the entrance of the gate. It would have been minutes if the wind would have held. So in this case 2 different approaches provided the same results..

The LongPac is my favorite race!

Dirk "TIJD" First30JK

As Dirk suggests, if you get a Northerly (like we did in 2011) and are willing to beat your brains out staying on the wind, you can sail a shorter course to/from 126 40:
    Last edited by BobJ; 11-11-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Dirk, you are way to kind. I stayed up all night laying on the low side of Lightspeed trying to get a little wind to get ahead of you. When the fog lifted in the morning and the wind filled in, you popped your spinnaker and came out of the fog like an old pirate move. I was beat and to tired to get the kit up in time! It was a great race my friend! My lesson learned on the LonPac and TransPac, if you can get 5 min of sleep, TAKE IT!!

Great to have the Forum back! Thanks David! Here's some preliminary info about the 2015 SSS LongPac.
    1. Start: July 9 at 1200 at the Corinthian YC.
    2. Yes, there will be several LongPac Seminars which will cover important prep and safety topics. There will be an initial meeting in February for all interested skippers to go over general topics and provide an opportunity for questions/feedback. Skippers considering entry are encouraged to attend.
    3. The 2015 NOR and SI will closely follow the 2013 version.
    4. Position Reporting: We're working on this, but there will be a requirement for reporting.
    5. EPIRB with GPS will be required
    6. Two GPS receivers will be required (as per 2013). A handheld VHF/DSC radio as the 2nd GPS is a good idea to think about.
    I'd like to begin creating an email list of skippers planning/thinking about participating. Please PM me with your contact information. Pat Broderick, 2015 LongPac Chairman

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

The Board is working on getting a lot of Safety at Sea seminars scheduled for early 2015 -- will a SAS cert be required to do the LongPac?

I'm in too.
    Little wing