Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Long Pac - who is going ?

Congratulations Pat, on accepting the challenge of running the LongPac! Thank you.

Lucie Mewes
    2013 LongPac Chair

Given that the reporting requirements will include email or text messaging, what do y'all recommend for satphone rental? I am probably not offshore regular enough to justify a purchase (unless a great deal pops up between now and July) and I don't have SSB onboard. Does anyone have experience with the Sat Phone Store or another provider to recommend? - https://www.satellitephonestore.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    The Board is working on getting a lot of Safety at Sea seminars scheduled for early 2015 -- will a SAS cert be required to do the LongPac?
    The usual rule, have completed an SAS class in the last 5 years.

Concerning SAS training for the 2015 LongPac. The answer is, " Yes." SAS Certification within the past 5 years will be required for the skipper (single/double) and crew (double). The training may be one of the approved 2-day, 1-day, or 1/2-half day training sessions. This changes the 2015 NCORC requirements, which only require that the skipper (person in charge) be SAS certified for doublehanded entries. A list of SAS training sessions will be published soon.

For entries from outside the immediate SF Bay Area, similar SAS training will be required.

Pat Broderick, SSS LongPac PRO

Quote Originally Posted by sunol View Post
    Given that the reporting requirements will include email or text messaging, what do y'all recommend for satphone rental? I am probably not offshore regular enough to justify a purchase (unless a great deal pops up between now and July) and I don't have SSB onboard. Does anyone have experience with the Sat Phone Store or another provider to recommend? - https://www.satellitephonestore.com/
    If you rent a sat.phone and plan to use if for downloading GRIB files, be sure it has compression software that works. If you're contemplating the SSS TransPac, where you would likely really use GRIB files, the LongPac would be good practice to make sure you can do it. On the 2010 PacCup everything worked at home and in the berth, but not at sea with the boat rocking and rolling. We didn't have the compression program, so it took an eternity to download files and every time we lost the connection, we had to start over. We gave up and really navigated our way to victory with a ten-year-old $65 Garmin Gecko GPS. It helped to have Gordie Nash onboard, something you wouldn't have in the SSS TransPac! -- Pat

Quote Originally Posted by sunol View Post
    I had a good experience with OCENS up in Seattle for satphone rental. They also have good phone / tech support.
    If you are just concerned with the reporting requirements, a DeLorme InReach or the like could also do the trick, albeit without the voice option.

Thx! OCENS looks good!

I've had great experiences with www.satphonestore.com for both purchases and rentals. I'd look into an IridiumGo over a phone at this point for less $$$.

Some competition for Iridium. Maybe in time for the 2021 LongPac
    http://www.space.com/28305-spacex-sa...t-seattle.html

Question: I see on the main site that the SH Farallones is a qualifier for the LongPac. I may not be able to make that race due to other commitments - is there another way to qualify?