Thread: Stanley Paris Heads Out Again

Default Stanley Paris Heads Out Again

Mr Paris is again off on a single handed non stop attempt to set various world records. His attempt is well funded but solely by himself (I think). He failed, or at least his boat failed, on the first attempt. I don't know too much about him but he certainly seems driven and his occasional blog lets us in on the trials of single handing on a bigger scale than most of us get to experience.
    http://stanleyparis.blogspot.ca/

Doesn't one have have some bit of dirt bag in their blood in order to be a true singlehander. I mean that with all due respect and maybe Stanley Paris has money but he also has a little dirt bag running through his veins. Am I right. ..or maybe it's the beer talking?

No Steevee, a succession of dirt bag crews leads one naturally to single handing, the final solution to bottom feeding scumbags who want a free ride across an ocean while doing nothing but complain while chowing down on everything tasty. Whoops, is that the wine talking?
    Anyone who knows me knows I've had many wonderful crew. Anyone who's read my book knows I've had some less than wonderful crew.

In the surfing community "dirtbag" is a term used to describe the surfer who lives with very little resources in order to spend most of their time surfing instead of working. It's a state of being. Most of us don't have the luxury of being independently wealthy like Mr Paris. There are definitely leaches for sure, which are the crew you're referring to...unless you're referring to me in which case I think of myself as a symbiotic organism when I drink all the beer ; )
    By the way, that story of your worthless crew is one of the best in your book, Peter.

Stanley Paris packs it in again apparently due to a split seam in his mains'l. Hardly seems like a reason to give up but probably is more complicated than that.