Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiasco 2015

Awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Synthia. Finished at 4:30. On a Hawkfarm. Wow. Just that: Wow. That girl knows how to sail.
    Well done Synthia! How did you go?

This was my course:
    TI first. I could see early starters getting around but thenit got lighter and boats got stuck close to TI. I decided to stay close to the city and out of the current, which paid off.
    After rounding TI, close hauled to Red Rock wich turned into a reach. Reached out to the left of Red Rock working my way through traffic. It was a big park up at Red Rock.
    After rounding Red Rock the current helped to get to Racoon Staights, More pressure started building.
    Sailing to Black Aller. Looked like a beat but got lifted all the way up to the mark. Spinnaker down to the finish and finished at 5:49.

On my way back there were still many boats coming through Raccoon straights with 45 minutes left to the deadline. I hope they made it. It sucks to finish just after the deadline...

Dirk - "TIJD" Beneteau First 30JK

Thx everyone!!! I went to RR (not though the straights) straight away, riding the last bit of flood until 11:30-ish when the ebb kicked in. I hid in the cone of RR until the building W'ly was stronger than the building ebb to barely squeak it around. Then rode the ebb mid channel towards TI, taking a wide turn around YB and back mid channel towards Blossom Rock/Alcatraz and mid bay towards GGB to stay in the dying ebb. By the time I got to Blackaller the flood had started on shore. La-di-da!! Great wind most of the day, but for a light patch between Southhampton and RR approach & rounding Blackaller. I was able to carry the spinny from Southhampton to RR rounding, Berkeley pier to YB rounding, and after rounding Blackaller to finish.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Thx everyone!!! I went to RR (not though the straights) straight away, riding the last bit of flood until 11:30-ish when the ebb kicked in. I hid in the cone of RR until the building W'ly was stronger than the building ebb to barely squeak it around. Then rode the ebb mid channel towards TI, taking a wide turn around YB and back mid channel towards Blossom Rock/Alcatraz and mid bay towards GGB to stay in the dying ebb. By the time I got to Blackaller the flood had started on shore. La-di-da!! Great wind most of the day, but for a light patch between Southhampton and RR approach & rounding Blackaller. I was able to carry the spinny from Southhampton to RR rounding, Berkeley pier to YB rounding, and after rounding Blackaller to finish.
    Synthia, were you and I really on the SAME course?! Wow, what a great finish. Congratulations :-)

Congrats to to Dirk and specially Synthia for pulling out great races and finishes. I was somehow able to salvage the day on JetSteam. You can read the full story here http://jetstreamracing.blogspot.com/...-laid.html?m=1.

Bottom line, I had a similar plan as Synthia. But the wind shutting down 5 mins after my start put a quick end to that. Rest of the day was spent working with what we had to try and finish the race.

Yep, I had the same plan to do RR first at a 10:02 start. Instead of abandoning the plan when stuck with no wind between Angel and Alcatraz, I waited it out and ended up retiring near RR.

Early start .. close reach to TI .. set kite and ran clean down east side. Met a few CCW rounders behind YBI .. dropped and got a great flush out the West side.
    Close hauled for Berkeley pier landed us just East of deep water .. hoisted just past So Hampton & made good time to Richmond in puffs where we parked with masses. Called it abeam Red Rock about 5. Pleasant Frustration

I went the same way, nice reach to TI, clockwise around, wind died for a while under the bridge but I stayed outside the channel so that was not so bad. Saw some other boats getting sucked right back into the exclusion zone. Sail to Red rock was nice but then we got stuck right there just like everybody else. If only the westerly had reached all the way to the rock! Oh well, was a fun day anyways, still sore from all that Spi manoeuvering :-)

Congrats to all who showed up....365 boats!! A short time lapse of the Moore 24 start as seen from the race deck at GGYC (best watched while listening to Korsakov's Flight of the Bumble Bees):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mou...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ChrisH; 02-02-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Synbad riding her "Mystery Ship" to the Finish. Congrats!
    (photographer unknown)
    Attached Images Attached Images