Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Sailing a Serious Ocean - by John Kretschmer; has anyone read it?
    Yep, good one. None of his books are bad. Good cruiser/heavy boat stories rather than racer/ULDB.

"Left for Dead: Surviving the Deadliest Storm in Modern Sailing History" about the 1979 Fastnet and "The Proving Ground" about the 98 Sydney Hobart are good adventure racing reads.

If you are looking for books that you can listen to on your ipod while you are sailing, then I strongly suggest that you go to Librivox.org. They have thousands of older books that are in the public domain. I have personally listened to hundreds of them while I'm sailing or hiking with my dog. Some of the sailing books include Moby Dick, Mutiny on the Bounty, Jules Verne books, Jack London books (right now I'm listening to The Jacket by Jack London) and tons and tons extra. I highly recommend it for everyone who spends time alone, like singlehanded sailors do.

A new book about sailing solo, this one by Christian Williams, just released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY3GFaHwRAA

Hard dinghy on the foredeck and 4 jugs lashed inside the shrouds tell me a lot! Not to mention the tiny foresail in almost every shot....

The fact that he was crew for Ted Turner including during the 79 Fastnet Race tells me a lot. And Lynn and Larry Pardey have sailed a bit and they keep a hard dingy on deck. He wasn't racing. Different strokes for different folks.

Good points, Phil. And he did have a furler, which reduces foredeck activity requirements. I did note that he wasn't towing the dinghy! In 1980 I singlehanded to Hilo. While tied up in Radio Bay, a 30 footer from Oregon came in and we became acquainted. Soon after we sailed for Lahina anchorage off Maui, and after anchoring, he asked me to pick him up in my inflatable, which I did. When I asked about his dinghy, he said he had left port in Oregon towing his hard dinghy, but the next morning all he was towing was a painter tied to an eyebolt and a scrap of plywood!

Sailor's Run (Jeff Hartjoy) is on her final stretch home after passing all five capes, solo, unassisted, non-stop. I sense another book in the making....

http://sailorsrun.com/

"... he asked me to pick him up in my inflatable, which I did. When I asked about his dinghy, he said he had left port in Oregon towing his hard dinghy, but the next morning all he was towing was a painter tied to an eyebolt and a scrap of plywood!"

LMAO!

I have posted this question before, but it seems to disappear.
    Again: What was the trigger for adding the requirement for a "heavy weather foresail" to the entry "hoops" to jump thru for the SHTP? There has always been a storm jib and trysail or deep reef requirement for the mainsail. The "heavy weather jib" requirement appears to be new for this year. In the '90's, I found myself overcanvassed early in the race with a working jib and double reef main. As a result, I had a "heavy weather jib" made...it even had a reefing capability. Also put a 3rd reef in the main, even tho I did have a trysail. I used the jib at the start of the 2014 SHTP and flew it for two days. A good rig for an old man who doesn't like to change sails when the seas are boisterous!

At the end of 4.52[b][1] there is an "OR". If you have a storm jib you don't also have to carry the heavy air jib.

Also, I compared these heavy air sail requirements to those in the 2010 rules, since those were the last ones I had a hand in editing. This rule hasn't changed so there's no new "hoop" I can see.