Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LongPac Prep

Default LongPac Prep

I'm hoping to start some dialogue on how others have addressed the NorCalORC Equipment List.

My Question: how have others addressed this requirement?

Hull and Structure: Hull Openings
    2.1.1 A boat's companionway(s) shall be capable of being blocked off to main deck level. The method of blocking should be solid watertight and rigidly secured, if not permanent.
    2.1.2 A boat's hatch boards, whether or not in position in the hatchway, shall be secured to the boat (e.g. by a lanyard) for the duration of the race to prevent their being lost overboard.

My new (to me) boat has a set of plexiglass three section companionway drop boards with nothing but gravity holding them place. What is required to make them "rigidly secured" and "secure to the boat?" What have others done?

Tom
    CLOUD

Hi Tom,

Rags has two Lexan drop boards. Each one has a small eyestrap on its inside face. The top board has a piece of cord tied to the eyestrap. The cord passes through the eyestrap on the lower drop board and then to a small cam cleat on the underside of the companionway "sill." The tail of the cord continues on and is made fast inside the boat. Thus the boards are tied to the boat and can be secured by stacking them in place and then snugging the cord in the cam cleat. The hatch could be open but the boards can't fall out. This would work just as well with three boards as with two. I'll try to remember to take a photo this weekend.

When not racing in the ocean, the whole works comes off the boat and I have a shiny single drop board for normal use.

Tom,

Lightspeed’s set up is pretty much like Rags but with the addition of a small round (hand sized) hole with cover that can be removed from inside/outside in the top hatch board under the padlock tab. I added is for the 2012 PacCup (and 2.1.1 rule) so I could slid the companionway hatch cover closed, reach through the hole from the inside and slide a tethered lock pin in the lock tab.
    Last edited by Lightspeed; 01-24-2015 at 10:48 AM.

From Archimedes SHTP 2014 Express 27

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  94.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  89.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  93.5 KB

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Thank you all. I really appreciate the responses and hope there will be more. The single panel drop board where there is a bridge deck or high sill seems like the easiest to address. My last boat (Wyliecat 30) had a single acrylic panel with an eye-bolt at the bottom of the panel and eyes below the sill inside and out. It was not difficult to climb over to get inside.

My new boat has a low sill and high house. The bottom (of 3) washboard needs to be in place to block off the companionway up to the level of the local sheer line. Climbing over all 3 washboards is not a practical option.

Lightspeed's hand hole for being able to open up from the outside is interesting. I had to laugh because when we had our boat in Florida, for some time we were in a very public area where there was a lot of late night foot traffic (i.e. after the bars closed). So I could sleep better, I added a barrel-bolt on the inside to secure the sliding companionway hatch.

Keep the ideas coming.

Tom
    CLOUD

On ROXANNE, I was just going to attach the two hatch boards to the companionway steps via a lanyard and a couple of eyestraps screwed into the hatch boards. Too simple?

Her companionway is entered above deck level already as designed, so I assumed I was ok on -
    "2.1.1 A boat's companionway(s) shall be capable of being blocked off to main deck level. The method of blocking should be solid watertight and rigidly secured, if not permanent. "

I know this won't conform to the Category 1 level, but I figured it would conform for the LongPac. Should I re-figure?

Here's the link again to the 2013 LongPac RR&C's

They have this requirement:

4.36 All companionway hatch boards [washboards] shall be capable of being secured in position with the hatch open or shut, and shall be secured to the yacht by a lanyard. The hatch shall be able to be secured in position by the skipper whether inside the yacht, or on deck.

Hopefully Pat (2015 LongPac Race Chair) will chime in on this thread, since the LongPac rules have always followed the SH TransPac rules, not whatever NorCalORC is requiring this week. This is because LongPac exists on the SSS schedule primarily to prepare skippers and their boats for the SH TransPac. I see we've already conformed to NorCalORC's SAS seminar requirement for LongPac, but hopefully that will be the end of the compromises. I take confidence in Pat's post last month: "3. The 2015 NOR and SI will closely follow the 2013 version."

Is there a date for the first LongPac seminar?
    Last edited by BobJ; 01-26-2015 at 06:59 PM.

The hatch shall be able to be secured in position by the skipper whether inside the yacht, or on deck.

Yeah, that would be an issue for me. I can close the hatch from inside, but it only locks from outside. There might be a barrel bolt in my future...

"..secured in position by the skipper whether inside the yacht, or on deck," with a barrel bolt maybe just fine for a singlehander (yes, I know this is the SSS), but doesn't work for those of us that often also have crew.

A barrel bolt on one or both sides doesn't really work without a way to get at it from the other side. Pogen/Temerity's solution is elegant in that it releases from both sides.

Tom
    CLOUD