Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LongPac Prep

Agreed. Would like to avoid manufacturing a new hatch board, but may need to.

Jack (Capri 25) has two hatch boards, the bottom of which is below the deck level. I used a cut up bike tube for a gasket and secured it in place with two stainless right angle braces screwed into the companionway. The top board had a small hole with a line through it that went to a clam cleat on each side allowing it to be released on either side. I was pooped on a few occasions filling the cockpit. Securing the lower hatch board turned out to be really important. So were the two 4" drains through the transom.

Seems like masthead strobe light is not a requirement anymore?

Dirk- "TIJD" First 30JK

I remember talking to Rob about this when he was going over the 2012 SHTP rules, which required either a masthead tricolor or a strobe at the masthead. Deck-level lights aren't very visible to a ship when in ocean swells. The requirement carried forward into the 2014 SHTP rules which state: "All yachts shall have a masthead tricolor light or a strobe capable of being hoisted to the masthead."

Note that strobes must be white and are not legal inside COLREGS (Inland Waters). "Capable of being hoisted" means a strobe could be mounted on a pigstick and hoisted using a topping lift or second masthead halyard. The "stored energy" type are much more effective than simply a blinking light like the combination tricolor/strobes have.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-05-2015 at 02:32 PM.

A strobe light is considered a sign of distress. It will increase visibility, but USCG does not recommend it. Following is from USCG FAQ.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesFAQ#0.3_14

14. Can I use Strobe Lights to be more visible at night? For any other lights beyond those specifically defined within the Navigation Rules they should be such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules, or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out (Rule 20).

Displaying a strobe for "higher visibility" would confuse other vessels as to your navigational status (many aids to navigation use a strobe or flashing). Also, lights provide direction and aspect information to other boat operators. For example, if while operating my vessel I see a red light on my starboard side I know I am the give-way vessel (Rule 16, 17). The use of a strobe light could overwhelm a vessel's navigation lights and cease to provide such crucial direction and aspect information to other boat operators.

Also, Rule 36 of the International Rules addresses signals to attract attention and for the purpose of [that] rule the use of high intensity intermittent or revolving lights, such as strobe lights, shall be avoided. Rule 37 of the Inland Rules addresses strobes in regards to distress signals so that when a vessel is in distress and requires assistance she shall use...a high intensity white light flashing at regular intervals from 50 to 70 times per minute.

Since strobe light use is to be avoided (International waters) or used as a distress signal (Inland waters), it cannot be used to routinely mark vessels operating on the water.

Because it is considered a distress signal in Inland Waters, the strobe should only be used offshore (as I stated above). The typical scenario is to turn it on when communicating with a ship which cannot see you. Having a strobe available on a pigstick avoids SSS having to require that all boats install a masthead tricolor.
    Last edited by BobJ; 02-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks for the info. I will assume that the my current masthead tri-color will suffice so I will not replace for one with strobe..

Looking forward to discuss the LongPac rules. Unfortunately I will be out of town next week and will not be at the 3BF awards meeting.

Dirk - "TIJD" First 30JK

Dirk, sorry to hear you will miss the 3BF meeting. Rob/Beetle and I congratulate you and Tijd as sole finisher in your division and 2nd place overall for the race - Fantastic job! Hopefully there will be someone who can take your awards for you!! Kristen

My companionway has three washboards, and for the duration of the ocean racing season I tie a tether to each one, between eyestraps on the inside of each board and three more eyestraps alongside the quarterberth where they are usually stowed.

Each one also has a barrel bolt on one side to lock it in place in the companionway ... although with shrinking and swelling of the wood, the boards may sit higher or lower in the taper such that the bolts don't line up well with the holes I drilled in the companionway frame. Some rethinking is called for there. I need to have two slides in place to get to legal blocked-off height (actually above), but it's still pretty easy to climb in and out. So far, I haven't bothered to make different boards, which would let me get exactly to sheer height with just one.

For inside/outside access, I filed a notch in the top of the top board. I screwed a small horn cleat to the underside of the hatch slide, and a clam cleat to the outside of the washboard. I run a short line between the two, through the notch, that I can cleat or uncleat at either end.

The "watertight" spec in the rules bothers me. My boards are a pretty tight fit, but I'm sure I would get some spray inside if a wave hit them square on.

Max
    Last edited by Critter; 02-11-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Max,
    Thank you for the "three washboards" answer. Is your hatch slide somehow held closed? Or is that even required?

Tom
    CLOUD