Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just saying hi

Default Just saying hi

Hey,

I'm curious about this short handed racing thing so I just signed up with the SSS up via Jibe Set. I'm eager to learn more about what I have gotten myself into so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Chris King. I sail a Alden 44 named Puffin. She is probably not the perfect boat for shorthanded sailing but she's what I got. I do quite a bit of single handed cruising with her about the Bay so it's not completely insane.

I'm drawn to the SSS because of the kinds of courses you race. (Longer, more a thinking man's game than the adrenaline rush of round the bouys race). I'll probably start out doing in the bay races double handed. Puffin is not equipped with a lot of go fast goodies so I don't expect to be at the front of the pack but I do plan on enjoying myself none the less. I just got my PHRF. Puffin is rated the same as a Cal 40 which seem like a tough row to hoe.

Is there a description of these races anywhere? I have a rough idea of whats what but it would be nice to know more. Do I just have to wait for the race instructions to be published?

I would be happy to help out with stuff. For example, I'd love to get some experience helping out the race committee on races that I don't do. How does one go about this. Is there a volunteer list kept somewhere?

Chris

Hi Chris,

That's a beautiful boat.

There are Standing Sailing Instructions for the season and then Additional Sailing Instructions for each race, which describe the course. You can look at last year's by selecting each race from the Regatta List here and then clicking on the SI's:

https://www.jibeset.net/ourregatta.p...yes&CLUB=JACKY

Welcome!

Hey Chris, welcome. Last year was my first year racing SSS and my first year on SF Bay with my "new" boat so it was quite the challenge, but I had a blast. Here are a few things that helped me. I marked all the restricted areas on a paper chart, like the inside of the Richmond Long Wharf. You can use a chart plotter, but it's easy to lose perspective on where things are such as when sailing to Vallejo.

I once asked someone who races fully crewed how close they get to shore to take advantage of the counter currents, and he said, "Are you in your boat or someone else's boat?" Since you already know the bay, maybe you already know where the hazards are, but if not, my suggestion is to be conservative and keep it fun.

You'll definitely benefit from going to the SSS skippers' meetings. They're a super great bunch who are more than willing to help or lend advice. You can also ask them about helping with race committee. I'm sure you'll enjoy the camaraderie, the racing, and the post race get-togethers -- at least whenever they're feeling sociable enough to step off their boats...

Carliane
    s/v Kynntana (Freedom 38)
    Last edited by Gamayun; 12-20-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Welcome Chris,
    I joined SSS last year, attended some skipper's meetings, helped on race committee for a few races.
    Usually an email goes out requesting help. SIs are posted well in advance.
    I plan to sail Bay races only as my Oday 22 is not equipped for coastal.

Several members, including myself, are doing the BYC Midwinter shorthanded series. I hear there will be another bay series having a singlehand division open to SSS members.

I really enjoy singlehand sailing and this is a great place to learn and do more. I hope you enjoy it here too.

Greg
    "Daydreamer"
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 12-27-2014 at 01:02 AM.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Hello Chris,

I am your harbor neighbor, only two boats away. I have that (relatively new to the harbor) red boat you keep walking past and wondering about. For the past few years, I've raced a Wyliecat 30 DAZZLER in SSS. Please stop by and I'd be happy to help with any information I can provide.

Tom
    CLOUD

Hey Tom,

We did say hello a few weeks ago. I probably was one of many that passed by and said "wow that's an unusual boat, what is she"? I'll stop by again sometime.

Chris

Chris, Welcome to the crazy world of SSS racing! You'll love it. Lots of help, just ask. And don't miss the 3-Bridge Fiasco on Saturday, Jan. 31 nor the Skippers Meeting at the Oakland YC on Wed., Jan. 21 (It's a zoo, but filled with the best racers in N. California). Last year 300+ started and 0 boats finished. A real Fiasco for sure. It's a reverse start, so just cross the Start Line in front of the GGYC in either direction and then sail around Blackaller Buoy, Red Rock, and Yerba Buena Island in any order and in any direction. Finish back at the GGYC Finish Line in either direction. If you're lucky PhotoBoy or Lat. 38 will get a picture and you might find your boat pictured in one of the annual articles about the race. But most of all have fun figuring out which way to go and then changing your mind 5 minutes after you've started. The rest of the SSS races are not as crazy, but the fun factor doesn't go down. -- Pat

Default Welcome aboard

I am race chair and would love tho have you on the deck. You should get an email before each race asking for volunteers. Just reply.
    As for the racing I started with the SSS about 15 years ago and thoroughly enjoy it. Singlehanded racing is the best way IMO to learn to sail your boat as you do it all and see what happens, rather then relying on some one else. To correct an error in Pat's reply there was ONE finisher in the TBF last year.
    Allen
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Hey,

I'm curious about this short handed racing thing so I just signed up with the SSS up via Jibe Set. I'm eager to learn more about what I have gotten myself into so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Chris King. I sail a Alden 44 named Puffin. She is probably not the perfect boat for shorthanded sailing but she's what I got. I do quite a bit of single handed cruising with her about the Bay so it's not completely insane.

I'm drawn to the SSS because of the kinds of courses you race. (Longer, more a thinking man's game than the adrenaline rush of round the bouys race). I'll probably start out doing in the bay races double handed. Puffin is not equipped with a lot of go fast goodies so I don't expect to be at the front of the pack but I do plan on enjoying myself none the less. I just got my PHRF. Puffin is rated the same as a Cal 40 which seem like a tough row to hoe.

Is there a description of these races anywhere? I have a rough idea of whats what but it would be nice to know more. Do I just have to wait for the race instructions to be published?

I would be happy to help out with stuff. For example, I'd love to get some experience helping out the race committee on races that I don't do. How does one go about this. Is there a volunteer list kept somewhere?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I just got my PHRF. Puffin is rated the same as a Cal 40 which seem like a tough row to hoe.
    Hey neighbor Chris,
    After thinking, and telling everyone that "I'm really not going to race my cruising boat," I went ahead and applied for a PHRF to do the 3BF. How could I resist the Woodstock of SF Bay? I received my NCPHRF rating this morning and, what da'ya know CLOUD is rated exactly the same as the Cal40 GREEN BUFFALO (114). What were they (the PHRF committee) thinking? It's a motorsailer! ... wind under 4-6 knots, turn on the engine.
    Welcome to the (complain about your rating) club.

All in the spirit of good fun,
    Tom
    CLOUD

Glad to hear you'll be out there, Tom. See you on Saturday.

Chris