Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTP 2016 interest thread

And you do make a great pie! Probably not on Dura Mater. "Hard Mama"...very expressive, I'd say.....

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    A long time ago, in regards the SHTP of that age, I said: "don't talk about it...just do it". And then came the Nike spokesman, Michael Jordan! Oh well....
    I can't agree more with that sentiment. Checking on the back history I see that "Just Do It" debuted in 1988; your first SHTP was 1984. Was it really just that easy to get up and go? I guess with 30K ocean miles under your belt at that time, this made it easier to contemplate. I've been coastal sailing for one year now and only a few times single-handed offshore. So I am really interested in the thought process to undertake such a thing, both to the dialogue that is going on inside my head and what others are contemplating. No matter what level of experience, however, I would think that the first time has got to be a little nerve-wracking...

As to Bob's comment, I also saw a statement of yours that said 2010 was DEFINITELY your last SHTP. Yet I was one of the welcoming committee to Harrier when you arrived in Hanalei in 2014 and you were there in 2012, too. As you know, it's all talk right now, but it would be great to race with you in 2016 :-)

Yes, it was in 1984. I had already done the SoPac "Milk run" doublehanded and singlehanded once to HI and a second time to HI doublehanded....all in my lightweight, slow wood sloop. Was just waiting 'til I found the right boat...which I did in spring 1984. Started right away setting it up pretty much like the wood sloop (which was also fractional, fin keel, spade rudder). Headed for LaPaz for Xmas '83, then back for the '84 SHTP. I always try to be relatively competitive, but that race pretty much was learning the boat. Feeling comfortable alone in the ocean has never been a problem. And you really are alone, altho nowadays with the 406 EPIRB, good radio commo, good tools and spares, a life raft (LAST POSSIBLE RESORT!!!) and enuf experience, the only thing to be concerned about is the potential for injury or other health affliction.

Which brings me to your last sentence. I would dearly love to to it once again, and as of this moment (just having returned from my thrice weekly gym workout) I would feel pretty comfortable about a repeat. But I would then be 86 years old with another 1 1/2 year of wear and tear on my bod from now. So don't make any plans based upon my participation......

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    A cluster of tiller pilots in an umbrella bucket. Check. A hand held barometer. Check. One apple pie with sugar sprinkles on the top crust. Check.
    I know how to relieve that tiller pilot stress.

i don't know General. you sound pretty darn sharp in the wind vane thread and still look pretty fit whenever i see you. i wouldn't be surprised if you're the first person over 100 to sail solo to hawaii. go the general.

Thanks, Ronnie
    If ever they would allow starts from southern cal, I'd be right there. Getting up to the start is the hard part...the race is easy (unless your self steering goes away)

That would present a fascinating scoring challenge !

Yes, but perhaps no more challenging than scoring those races in which the various classes start on different days.....

I'm finally throwing two hats into the ring. My wife, Chris, and I are both in for 2016. I'll be sailing a J/120 and she will be sailing our Schumacher 28 (some might remember After Math at RYC). spadefoot (fka After Math) has undergone a number of changes since she was last in the Bay and we are comfortable now that we can add the necessary stuff for a SH ocean crossing. Spadefoot will come back on a trailer. Shearwater (the J/120) will be sailed back.

I'm planning to do my qualifier in July as part of bringing the boat from the PNW to the Bay. Chris is planning to do her qualifier in the Gulf of Mexico in October since the boat is in Texas now.

Lots of logistics to pull this off, but we feel good about it right now.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Great to read this Justin! Best wishes to you and Chris for a smooth prep.

I can't imagine working TWO lists.