Thread: SH Faralonnes on Memorial Day Weekend?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SH Faralonnes on Memorial Day Weekend?

huh.

I know there was a survey (which I did not participate in, bad on me...), and I know the schedule for this year is set, so it isn't changing. But would someone explain why the change to the SH Farallones schedule this year? I really wanted to give it a try again but we're doing spin cup so that's out. ???

bw

There are only two ebbs on a Saturday in the month of May. OYRA took the first and could not be persuaded to move. If we had gotten the earlier ebb it would have been great and we could not have been persuaded to move. Could not get a clear date in April with Vallejo, OYRA etc already scheduled. June would make it too close to the LongPac. It is one of our three signature races with LongPac and Transpac and do not want to combine with the OYRA Farallons. We have the same problem in Sept with Labor Day and one other ebb that the OYRA also wants thus we may combine Half Moon Bay with them. No other good options except conflict with the Spinnaker Cup as there is not much overlap between the fleets.
    Sorry

Thanks for the explanation! Makes sense. I guess it's a good problem to have, that we have so many races to choose from. Thanks guys for working hard on schedules. I know it's a pain.

I'm always amused at the contrast between the guidelines of the Coastal Passagemaking courses that I'm about to start teaching (at a sailing school that shall remain nameless), and the preferences of ocean racers like us.

On the one hand it's THOU SHALT NOT LEAVE THE BAY ON AN EBB! This is one of the most dangerous bars on the west coast. You could catch a sneaker wave!

On the other hand it's PLEEEASE! Let us start on an ebb!

Of course, racers can't motor.
    Last edited by Critter; 02-11-2015 at 05:28 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post

On the one hand it's THOU SHALT NOT LEAVE THE BAY ON AN EBB!

Better: Thou shall not exit the Gate without checking the Bar forecast and buoy reports.

Oooh, an early morning (usually windless) start on an ebb. South Tower, here we come. LOL.