Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speeds achieved with 3.5hp outboard?

HI - Just wanted to report on the speeds I achieved. I got a little over 5 knots with the motor. Not bad. However, it's a pain to start in comparison to my last motor -- not very happy with it. I envy folks with inboards! Some day.

Hmmm, outboard on transom in pitching seas would stress that fiberglass area or it would come loose and bang on the rudder.

On my boat, a bad idea!

For the 2010 PacCup, we used a 3.5 hp Mercury outboard to meet the engine requirement, switching out the 6 hp Nissan I usually use. It pushed a 5500# (displacement) + 3 crew & gear Wyliecat along at 5 knots, full throttle. But it was a thirsty little bugger that only took a quart or so in its internal tank! The PacCup finishes in the ocean off Kanahoe Bay and you're required to motor in, following a pilot boat, which we did, filling up the little tank several times to ensure wouldn't suddenly stop.

Several SF Bay Wylies use 2 hp Hondas, which also push them along inside the Bay at around 4.5 knots. When Steve Seals lost his rudder on a BAMA Doublehanded race, he used his 2 hp Honda to "steer" the boat back (read my rants about E.R.s in another thread!) I've never had issues with an outboard (Santana 22 & Wyliecat 30), but then I've never been foolish enough to get too close to the S. E. Farallon Island either.