Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round the Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Wait! Who is this?
    A hearty welcome to the stranger

All offshore races are suffering. The whole offshore racing (apart from HI) is at risk of just disappearing. What did we expect? All those fucking rules. Not even 20 boats on the DH Lightship, the legendary Coastal Cup (a right of passage to most ocean racers) cancelled last year and in the death bed for this year.

You could solve the hull openings issues if you wanted to. I don't see where you still need a forward hatch. Then add some lifelines like the Moore 24's and Express 27's have done and you're good to go. (Those were your hot buttons the last time this came up.)

I'll start a new thread for the SHF.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-21-2015 at 12:32 PM.

@BobJ, I'll take you up on that VHF but it's not what is keeping me from Single Farralones.

Could I get some clairification on the date for the trophy meeting? Usually, or should I say traditionally, they were held the 2nd Wednesday after the race, or 11 days after the race. SIs state Wednesday May 14, so 4th Wednesday? But May 14th is a Thursday.

Also usually, or should I say traditionally, there was a very hand list of all the race/trophy meeting/skippers meeting dates to be found on the main SSS web site. So easy to find. Very nice. I miss it. Like I missed the last trophy meeting.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    You could solve the hull openings issues if you wanted to. I don't see where you still need a forward hatch. Then add some lifelines like the Moore 24's and Express 27's have done and you're good to go. (Those were your hot buttons the last time this came up.)

I'll start a new thread for the SHF.
    I don't plan to refuel the debate, but it is not that easy. Apart from the lifelines and toe rails I have everything. I got it all in place for the BAMA DH Farallones last year which doesn't require lifelines. And guess what, they denied my entry unless I could provide a letter from the designer that the boat was ocean capable. WTF. Anyways, I'm not trying again while these rules are in place. Enjoy your 5 boat races.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-21-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Original quote edited

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Anyways, I'm not trying again while these rules are in place. Enjoy your 5 boat races.
    Oh, Daniel. It's just not as fun if you're not there. And there are 12 boats signed up today, not 5. And isn't that what waivers are for? Think Affordable Care Act. There is new management.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Oh, Daniel. It's just not as fun if you're not there. And there are 12 boats signed up today, not 5. And isn't that what waivers are for? Think Affordable Care Act. There is new management.
    I'm sure the SSS will pull more boats than the rest of the Ocean series. I've made other plans for this year, though perhaps I'll try to do HMB as it is such a fun event for the group....

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I had a great day on the water on Saturday, so thanks much to the club for putting up a great race. Here is a writeup I posted elsewhere of my race:

The SSS delivered again with almost 100 boats lining up for the starting line of the Round the Rocks race. The course somewhat traditional of the in-the-Bay SSS bay tour races. A start off the Berkeley would take the fleet around Alcatraz, Harding, the Brothers and to the finish off the RYC race deck always leaving Red Rock to the East.

A nice breeze filled in for the start and most boats chose to take the long starboard leg towards TI in the flooding conditions. Low to mid teens in nice flat water made for a nice upwind leg. On board JetStream I chose to play the middle a little more taking a couple of short port tacks, when the lane got crowded. It seemed to pay off once we reached the Alcatraz cone. I was able to point the nose above the current and get a nice current lift towards Alcatraz. It pays to have a boat that tacks easily, taking that last short tack on the South corner of Alcatraz before getting on the river payed big time. On the fetch to Harding, it looked like the boats ahead weren't making it on the strong flood. We took an early tack in the middle on Alcatraz to gain a little height before getting on the main current. By this point we had caught up with most of the fleet.

On the way to Racoon the wind stayed pretty forward, so it took a while before we set the kite, but had a nice run through and out of the straits. Things got pretty light on the North Bay. We struggled to find a good lane, or maybe it was just the frustration of not being able to move as fast a we like on the light conditions. On the other hand, we had a bit of everything conditions wise on this race which tends to level the field. We played the left for a while where we found a bit more pressure. But it was looking light ahead so we shifted to the right side. Ehh, that didn't really payed off. At least we had the current with us. Under the Richmond bridge the fleet stayed pretty split. The multihulls were already making their way upwind. We were all over the bay looking for something favorable. Everything looked equally light.

As we got around the Brothers, we had company. Outsider and Kilo were a few boatlengths behind us and in attack mode. In the light upwind conditions it will be hard to keep them behind. But they had each other to worry about and we just played a loose cover on them. We all short tacked up the Richmond shore. Outsider broke out first towards the middle, we took a few extra tacks inshore before going out. Kilo stayed on the inside a bit longer.

Things looked light around Red Rock. Outsider and I gave it a wide berth. I caught up with Yucca who looked like it had found a private eddy and windhole making it hard for them to escape Red Rock. The rest of the race was a processing to the finish, some upwind and close reaching. We were almost able to get over Yucca, but they had deployed their Code-0 and the moment they were able to crack off a bit they had enough to stay ahead. Though it was fun to ride their bow and stern wake all the way to the finish.

Now we had to get home, all the way in the Alameda Estuary. The 30 knots on the slot made for a fast albeit unpleasant delivery. The JS has no problem with the conditions but I would have rather been cracking open a beer. That would have to wait until deep in the Estuary when things finally calmed down. Enjoyed a cold one in the company of Photoboy who was coming down on the Red Snapper.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

I thought as long as one took one's hat and socks off, a gentleman was good to go.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-21-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Original quote edited