Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about insurance

Lots of boats like an Olson 30 have been sailed back from Hawaii over the years. Lots have been shipped back as well. Does anyone have a good guess at the ratios? I would think that for boats 30' and under the ratio is closer to 50/50 than 0/100 or 100/0. Keep in mind that if you plan to ship then you will need a trailer. Not likely to get a trailer with the purchase of a J/30 or similar.

From what I've seen the return can be more enjoyable than the trip over. Even on an Olson 30.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    Has anyone actually tried to get insurance for singlehanding to Hawaii? Is it even possible? It seems like the Open 60 boats manage to do this somehow.

Do they? You can insure anything, it's just a question of cost, I guess.

When I did the Pac Cup doublehanded, I looked into insurance (admittedly at kind of the 11th hour) and basically it was a no-go. I wasn't even insured when I was in coastal waters of Hawaii. My biggest worry was that I would hit someone else near Hawaii, or have the boat sink on a reef and then have to pay for environmental salvage. If the boat sank mid-ocean, I figured I'd have more to worry about than losing the boat.

Also, if you have an Olson 30 and already own the trailer, shipping back will be not that bad on cost or headache.

Wait, if you already own a J/120, why even talk about an Olson 30??? J/120 would be a great ride.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Wait, if you already own a J/120, why even talk about an Olson 30???
    Like they say on Facebook, "It's Complicated."

Shearwater, you might contact my agent, Chris Boome: boomeins@aol.com Chris has handled my boat insurance for a long time and does so for many of the race boats on SF Bay. He races his J/32 "Rhapsody" in SSS so he gets it.

We don't say a lot to the companies about what we do - you have to decide if you want to go down that road.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Like they say on Facebook, "It's Complicated."
    That means screwing more than one person at a time, or having more than one boat at a time? Is it OK to sail another boat, if you do it out of town, on a charter basis?

What happens in Friday Harbor stays in Friday Harbor, or so I'm told.

You are getting warmer! Not the screwing part.

Technically, I wasn't asking about the O30, the OP was, but I am looking into both shipping and sailing back.

We had really reasonable insurance for Pac Cup DH last year. No problem at all. Didn't even need a new survey. I've not tried to get insurance for singlehanding. Just wondering if anyone has succeeded before I try. Cost is a factor, but as the value of your boat goes up, your willingness to pay for insurance goes up as well.

Was just talking to my agent for a renewal and asked him about solo insurance. He basically said, no, not really possible.