Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boat choice

Default Boat choice

I'm looking at several possible boats for the 2018 (at least I'm hoping to join the 2018 race) and wanted to get some veteran's thoughts on boats I'm looking at. For the most part Olson 30's are out since very few seem to make it this far east (North Carolina), I cannot afford the Dana 24 I was hoping to buy but I'm currently thinking about either a Capri 30, Tartan 10, or a Pearson Flyer 30.

Anyone with experience with these boats who would like to provide insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

How about a Hobie 33

Never looked at one till now. I like the fact the beam is 8 feet and the keel is retractable. Question - Anyone know laws about towing a boat cross-country? I think the Hobie 33 would be good but a boat like Capri 30 would be over-sized and require permits. Am I right in this thinking or am I wrong?

I would like to buy a boat on the East coast and then trailer it to San Francisco in early 2018 for the race. I'd like to drive it my-self since hiring someone is too expensive.

Some have retractable keels, some have fixed. You can legally tow without a permit.

A Tartan 10 did well in the 2012 SHTP. 1st in class with no unusual problems as far as I know. Two Capri 25's and one Capri 30 entered the 2014 SHTP. One of the 25's was damaged in his passage down from Oregon and failed to make the start (broken keel bolt). The second had rigging failures during the race, but made it to Kauai having made jury fixes. The Capri 30, altho sailed by a 2-time veteran of the race (twice in a Crealock 37, once 1st in class) did poorly. The skipper did not seem to be sailing it aggressively racing or returning...I suspect he felt the boat was not durable enough. I don't think either model of Capri has any business being entered in this race, and I know my opinion is shared by at least one experienced competitor from the 2012 and 2014 SHTP. I like the Hobie 33's chances. The diminutive Moore 24 has been raced successfully eight times in the race, with varying placings by 5 different skippers. Too small for this octogenarian tho! In this regard, relating to engineless boats, if you are planning to use electric autopilots exclusively, be sure to take a portable generator along. Your solar panels will not suffice to keep the batteries up.
    Cal 2-27 is a boat which seems to sail well to its rating, in my opinion. I would highly consider the Express 27...all which have been entered have made it to Hanalei.
    Most problems encountered by racers have been standing rigging (including tangs and chain plates) and rudder failures. Be diligent in tending to these prior to your entry. I don't trust swage fittings and don't like to venture forth on long distance sailing with standing rigging over 5 years or so old. I use Norseman/Staylock type rig fittings. Finall, I commend to your reading "Singlehanded Sailing" by Andrew Evans (veteran of one of our SHTPs). I agree with "almost" everything in his book...Fair Winds to you. Oh, by the way, you should plan on heavy air right off the bat in the race (not always tho) but be aware that you are likely to encounter very light winds at some point. So plan your sail inventory accordingly.

In this regard, relating to engineless boats, if you are planning to use electric autopilots exclusively, be sure to take a portable generator along. Your solar panels will not suffice to keep the batteries up.
    If everything is planned correct (i.e. tested over a long period) you can do solar only for the race and I will the next time I go, albeit with much more solar output. I did it with only 8amps of solar and only 100Ah in two batteries. The autopilot basically drove the entire trip except may 15-20 hours. A gas generator or fuel cell could augment the solar and not weigh much and could be deployed at night!

I have sailed to Hawaii from California when I never saw the sun until within 50 miles of the island. I get 8 amps from my solar when the sun's orientation is ideal. That only lasts part time. I figure 50AH per day at best...and I'm talking "tested over a long period".

Looking at a 1968 Pearson 35' Saturday. I'm not too worried about finishing first, just finishing

Other fun boats that have a LONG track record of successful track crossings to Hawaii are the Express 27 and Santa Cruz 27. One advantage of these small boats, along with the Moore 24, and the Hobie 33 is they usually have trailers which makes shipping the boat back quite easy if you are time limited.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    Looking at a 1968 Pearson 35' Saturday. I'm not too worried about finishing first, just finishing
    BAADS in South Beach harbor might have a Pearson Commander for sale. It is in perfect condition.