Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Farallones 2015

For first-timers I'll add: Even if it's docile outside the Gate, the wind usually amps up a lot as you approach the bridge, then there's the South Tower Demon to deal with after you pass under it. On top of that, your approach lane narrows quickly if a ship is coming through. If there's any doubt, douse the kite (or take down the whisker pole) well outside the bridge. The wind typically gets more SW inside so it will likely be a reach to the finish line anyway.

As someone who's first Farallones Race was in the early 1980s, I can tell you that deciding to turn back has no shame attached to it. I've done in many times, and I'm not the brightest guy sailing tomorrow. It's as far back as it is out to where you decide to turn back, and while it may not be as messy, it can still be dicey.

With the ebb coinciding with the start, added to the short period between swells, the north side is likely to be especially messy, at least for the first few miles past Pt. Bonita, maybe out to the end of the shipping channel which is close to the Lightship. You'll need watch for breaking waves/swells on the Fourfatham Bank on the north and not get caught in them. The Fourfatham Bank isn't too far north of the shipping channel and extends out to the end of that dredged channel. Check your chart!

Bob is correct about respecting the north side of the island. If you see anything that looks like a break north of you, get out. And, delaying the "Mother of All Jibes" on the SE corner is important, too. Too early and you'll find yourself aimed at the Island rather than around it. If you're going to pee, I hope you can do it quickly! Sometimes in an open transom boat it's easier to just . . . . . .

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Is it too late to just go fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    If you're going to pee, I hope you can do it quickly! Sometimes in an open transom boat it's easier to just . . . . . .
    On that note it is interesting that they make ocean tethers yellow!

I'm going for a Master Mariners ride, sorry Sportboat fleet.

Yeehaw, that was fun!

Default Looking for crown in cockpit knocked out by Farallon brutality

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Yeehaw, that was fun!
    To enhance the fun for 2016, I am adding a kidney belt to my sailing kit.

First timer and I am sore this morning!
    Couple of minutes of video. My gopro died on the way out, so some stills near the end. Shot of the whale I saw just north of the shipping channel.
    https://vimeo.com/128725805

Default Video

Quote Originally Posted by sunol View Post
    First timer and I am sore this morning!
    Couple of minutes of video. My gopro died on the way out, so some stills near the end. Shot of the whale I saw just north of the shipping channel.
    https://vimeo.com/128725805
    Very nice video. Including the track with the video is a nice touch. The video fails to capture the number of times your feet left the cockpit floor, or the roar of the rigging pumping against the back stay as it attempted to hop out of the boat.

Ha! Also didn't capture the one word I said very loudly when the furling line on the genoa snapped just as I came along side the island.