Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Farallones 2015

Here is a YouTube of Lightspeed and Whirlwind about to round the Farallones http://youtu.be/wwNSforEmP0 and Lightspeed blasting home http://youtu.be/bSuZTus0RB0 It was a bumpy ride out but a great ride home hitting 14.5K with only the #3...Thanks Race Committee for a fun day...

Congratulations on your 3rd place! It was fun!

Dirk - "TIJD" First 30JK

Thanks Dirk, I felt bad for Bob (Ragtime) as we three seem to alway have a good competitive close race. Waited all the way in to set the kite and when it went below 90 deg had to dodge a freighter. Shipping lane bummer but still a good day on the water...

Lightspeed: How far north did you go ? I was working the channel north edge up to about a 1/2 mile north of the channel. At the light ship I was laying the islands north rocks, crossed close to the L.S., and held that course. Finally did a very short clearing tack for more margin and met dhusselman, tacking just below his line to clear the island.
    Brian - Red Sky

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    Curious what the reasons for the DNFs were. Sounds like seasickness was one. Was that the main reason or did the wind and/or sea conditions turn a few boats around?
    This was my first race and I was happy to cross the startline in roughly the right direction and roughly the right time without fouling anybody else. Since there was more gunfire coming from the Race Deck I decided to hightail it to the Island. I got too far south and by the time I was lined up to round it was late, I had about another hour to go and there were no other boats in sight. I was tired and didn't want to make a mistake going home in the dark so bailed and made it under the Golden Gate just after 8p and flipped on the running lights. Coming in on the ebb tide, there were about half a dozen cargo ships and tankers in the shipping channel so glad I had AIS. One smallish ship, the Polynesia, was headed for Papeete and I almost called up and asked them for a tow.

It was a great day on the water for me with no worries. Boat's built like a brick.

Signed,
    The Who from s/v Owl

Lightspeed and I (TIJD) tacked north just before the first channel marker. I tacked back fairly quick as it was slow with a #3 in the chop and figured I would tack north when the wind increases but (hopefully) before the shift. It turned out that the shift came early and no additional tack was required. Outsider was sailing up with me me for a long time and we were both lifted well North of the Island where Greg found another gear and walked away from me. This was my first time sailing with my new mainsail. It took me some time to get the reef in correctly but overall the race went well.
    I probably could have set my heavy air reacher but I never had that sail out of the bag. Not the right time to figure out if the boat could handle it. I need to spend some time figuring out the limits with the new sails...

It was a nice day though.

Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

Brian.....I need to snag the SD card from the GPS but basically I tacked north close to Bonita following black sails that I think was Green Buffalo. I figured since Jim has always done well in this race Lightspeed would follow the Buffalo. I followed his line back and never tacked again. That northern angle allowed me to crack off a hair which helped keep the speed up and a better angel against the bumper stopper waves. I was lifted even more the closer I got which helped me crack off even more as I was too lazy to reef knowing I would just shake it out later. Maybe Jim has more....Rick

Hello - I can't find the results help, please... Lucie

Most of us do a LeewardSet. If you want a mess you can try a WindwardSet. But if you want to jibe after rounding the windward mark you prepare for a . . .

Default 8 minutes of lost time

A video interpretation of the SHF from the deck, mostly, of Red Sky.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQlLmz1aE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DQlLmz1aE4