Thread: Singlehanded Farallones 2015

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Singlehanded Farallones 2015

Singlehanded Farallones is May 23rd. In 2011 we had 69 entries. This year we have (EDIT) 45 entries (cool!)

Apples-to-apples comparison of additional requirements today vs. our 2011 SSI's: Boat structure issues in 2.1.1 and 2.1.4, single lifelines for boats <30', toe rails, details on the bilge pump and life jackets, fewer(!) flares, Lifesling and MOB pole* for SH's, heaving line, DSC VHF w/masthead antenna, handheld DSC VHF, installed depth sounder (vs. lead line), searchlight, second flashlight, 2 buckets, e-tiller for wheeled boats, a reef in the main, SAS class.

I will personally do anything I can to help skippers get to the starting line and I know others in the SSS will too. For example, I have a 25 watt DSC VHF and masthead antenna sitting here - the MMSI was never entered so just put yours in. I will GIVE it to you if that's keeping you from racing to the Farallones.

Let's see 69 entries again folks!

* In late April there were at least two used MOB poles at Blue Pelican.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-25-2015 at 10:55 AM.

I get my new mast/boom next week at best and new main the week after- I am fighting hard to be able to do this with rigging for just the #3 (and 4) and a spinnaker (probably enough). I need to work out how to get to the blue pelican for a MOB pole (from sausalito, without a car) and i am still waiting for my Ray70 VHF. Its a race to the start line for me!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I will personally do anything I can to help skippers get to the starting line and I know others in the SSS will too.
    Hey, Bobby the J
    Remember how you inspected Dura Mater the day before the 2013 Farallones? My lifesling was upside down and packed wrong, my hatchboards were not attached to the boat and my borrowed life jacket had an expired doo-hickey. All that was remedied. Would you like to re-inspect Dura Mater for this year's race? I'll take you out to lunch. Skip's across the way. Taco truck for everybody.

Sure! (Was it really just the day before the race?)

My To Do list is getting shorter!

Got my new vhf mounted last Sunday. Sounds great. Entered my MMSI.

I would also like to arrange an inspection. Nightmare is in Richmond at Marina Bay YH. I can be available most weekends.
    After going through the process I would be happy to return the favor.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Default Testing Sat Tracking - Looking for Help

We could use assistance: We will be testing a tracking system that uses the Delorme hand held Inmarsat communicators. If you have one, and want to participate in the test, be sure to let us know. We will need the Satellite registration number. There will also be a few units available for low cost rental. The results will be a web page with those participating tracked. Viewing live of the page will be only allowed by the RC. If interested let me know. You can PM me here.

Brian
    Last edited by brianb; 04-20-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Make more sense out of the post

90% chance FUGU will be another W30 in the SHF race. Final items to be finish up this weekend, then schedule an inspection. A SHF sweatshirt is the only thing I come close to looking good in...

What's the word on getting a pre-race inspection?

The link to NorCalORC doesn't work.
    The only thing I get is the MER list, which states the boat may be inspected at any time by the "Organizing Authority"
    I think I would pass a post race inspection, but it would be nice to catch anything beforehand.

Any help is appreciated. Contact me at: gca at goldrush dot com

I am signed up.
    This will be my first significant trip!

Greg
    "Nightmare"
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence