Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Singlehanded Farallones 2015

Jackie, my dad had a Navik on his Hallberg-Rassy Monsun. It's been almost 30 years since he sold it, but I'd be happy to take a look ... I might remember something. Are you bringing the boat to Richmond Saturday?
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    Jackie, my dad had a Navik on his Hallberg-Rassy Monsun. It's been almost 30 years since he sold it, but I'd be happy to take a look ... I might remember something. Are you bringing the boat to Richmond Saturday? Max
    Hi, Max
    The Navik is back in Dura Mater's cabin while I reinforce the 5mm fiberglass on her transom. However, Tom Krase's boat Constellation, which has a Navik, is at Richmond Yacht Club and he has given me permission to step aboard in order to remind myself of how to set up my own windvane. How to adjust the spring loaded part and the mechanics of lowering and raising the paddle (without losing it or my finger) are my concerns. Thank you for the offer. And by the way, Tom has asked me to tell everyone that Contellation is for sale. He can't come on Saturday because his son is graduating from Cal and (naturally) all in-laws are in town for the event.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 05-14-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Right about OYRA pre-race MER inspections. They're calling random boats for post-race MER inspections. I think it's up to individual race authorities to determine whether they want pre/post/no MER inspections for ocean races. As far as I know the Spinnaker Cup isn't inspecting, for instance. I don't think the SSS is requiring inspections for the Farallones????

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Spin Cup used to do random inspections on finishers. If you finished after midnight, I think the risk was pretty low.

"Thank you to the SSS race deck for putting on this race. I can tell you that if we had fog I would have turned around! Even keel handled the conditions very nice. I set the first reef at the second green buoy out , after I saw Shaman setting her reef. If a Cal 40 is reefed a Catalina 320 should have already been reefed. The waves were impressive. Rounding the island was a challenge as the waves kept pushing me closer to the rocks then I wanted, a couple of extra tacks and around the island we went. On the return trip I saw the most impressive waves and much stronger winds. I observed a peak wind gust of 42 kts, yikes! Mostly the wind was around 30-35 kts from 120 deg. The waves on the return did give us trouble (boat and skipper) and both of us a good soaking, Even Keel clean and Mike wet."

Okay, I'm confused. The above quote is from Mike Meloy after the 2013 Farallones Race. I'm trying to figure weather out. According to NOAA, on May 18, 2013 the following weather @ 5pm is recorded @ Buoy 46026, which is half way to the Farallones: Direction 324; wind speed 7.6, gusts 9.3, wave height 1.65 with a dominant period of 6.25. How can I reconcile this information with my own and others' experiences of wind during that day, which was so different? So much more ... robust.

That reminds me of a Three Bridge Fiasco I posted about, when I did eight sail changes while it was blowing 40 in the lee of Angel Island.

From some old salt, "The only weather you know is the weather you left with at the dock". Meteorology is a great example of the limits of computer simulation of physics.

Apparently I am not the only one paying attention to that bouy. I have been keeping an eye on it for a couple weeks. Hey, I'm thinking, that's not so bad. Thanks a lot for raining on my parade Jackie

Wind speed historical data for 46026 looks to be in meters/second. Multipling by 2 is a fair estimate of knots. Wave height also metric. Wind speed may be the 10 minute average....

Anemometers are notoriously inaccurate. Buoys get hit all the time. I found one anemometer at Pt.Pinos the NWS used for reporting was so rusted the direction never changed, and the windspeed never exceeded 3 knots for months. WD-40 anyone?

I just rechecked 46026 at NOAA. I had been using an app. On android. It is reporting realtime in KTS and, at least, the historical graphs are also in KTS?? What are you looking at?