Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSS and NCORC

Default SSS and NCORC

On the Round the Rocks thread there was some discussion about offshore regs and the fewer participants for the OYRA series. I'm starting this to discuss the possibility of less regs for the SSS Half Moon Bay Race. All the other SSS ocean races are either more remote or tie with the OYRA RC (and run in the spring) so I personally have no problem with using the NCORC requirements for those (although they were not written for singlehanded entries and have a few flaws) The SSS HMB race is in the milder late summer/early fall and is always within CG VHF range, is a short 21 miles, Has multiple competitors close by during racing and is in daylight. David, could you post the results of the survey from last year? I recall some questions on it about the ocean requirements and I'm curious what people think.

I'm sure someone can find the requirements from the 2011 SSI's.

Jackie sent me the 2011 SSI's. Thanks Jackie. They mention vinyl covered lifelines and such. Remember that? But the main rules are 25w radio (no masthead antenna listed) SOLAS flares, PLB, and no lifeline requirement for under 30 ft. (only jacklines and tethers) I remember the CG asking for the EPIRBS in order to get a permit after the Daisy incident. Anyway, what is the opinion of everyone about a set of simpler rules without all the redundant stuff just for the SSS HMB race? I know some Moores and Express 27 owners who would go if it was simplified. And the Cal 20's.

Per my post in the SHF thread:

"Apples-to-apples comparison of additional requirements today vs. our 2011 SSI's: Boat structure issues in 2.1.1 and 2.1.4, single lifelines for boats <30', toe rails, details on the bilge pump and life jackets, fewer(!) flares, Lifesling and MOB pole for SH's, heaving line, DSC VHF w/masthead antenna, handheld DSC VHF, installed depth sounder (vs. lead line), searchlight, second flashlight, 2 buckets, e-tiller for wheeled boats, a reef in the main, SAS class."

NorCalORC encourages race organizers to edit its list to tailor it to a particular race. Which items would you waive for HMB?

I would go to the SSS board with a specific recommendation and see what they say.

I'd revise: EPIRB plus 2 DSC radios (maybe just pick one although handheld VHF with GPS/DSC would be my choice) No SOLAS flares (relatively short race with close competitors during daylight) No depth sounder (once again race in daylight and with GPS required it's not used for navigation much anymore. And it's a big deal for some of the boats who don't want to drill a hole in their boat just for one race) SAS class (four hour class is pretty useless in my opinion, Maybe mandatory SSS skippers meeting instead?) This would be for the SSS HMB Race only especially since it is the only ocean race some want to do for the SSS season. I understand the ease of having one set of rules for everybody who runs races past Bonita but I think for this race one size all doesn't fit. If it makes it impossible to get a permit or insurance then I get that too. And I'm posting this here for comments but will bring it up to board members when I see them. But what does everyone else think?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Per my post in the SHF thread:

"Apples-to-apples comparison of additional requirements today vs. our 2011 SSI's: Boat structure issues in 2.1.1 and 2.1.4, single lifelines for boats <30', toe rails, details on the bilge pump and life jackets, fewer(!) flares, Lifesling and MOB pole for SH's, heaving line, DSC VHF w/masthead antenna, handheld DSC VHF, installed depth sounder (vs. lead line), searchlight, second flashlight, 2 buckets, e-tiller for wheeled boats, a reef in the main, SAS class."

NorCalORC encourages race organizers to edit its list to tailor it to a particular race. Which items would you waive for HMB?

I would go to the SSS board with a specific recommendation and see what they say.

On the HMB race, when I did it about 3 y ago, many, possibly most boats turned left out of SF Bay before the #8 Sea Bouy. I have seen steep swells and breaking wave tops in ebb conditions with less than 20 knot winds. The trip to HMB does seem more mellow to me, but it does seem like it would be viewed by race organizers similar to how they view the Farallon races.

In the early 1960s we bought seat belt kits, drilled holes in the body pan, and installed them in a 1950s Nash. A few years later we added a shoulder belt. Of course the last few vehicles have come already equipped. We've never used the belts, nor the various air bags our current cars have. Same thing for a couple who are our friends and our same ages (mid-70s - 80). Until a month ago. Driving down a city street at 30 mph a car came out of nowhere and plowed almost head-on into them. Bang! Air bags exploding, safety belts cinching, car body crumple zones crumpling, engine pushed under the front seats. The result? Bruised ribs, "raspberry burns" from the air bags, and misc. bruises. "Daisy" was lost on a fairly mild day, not very far offshore from Seal Rocks. About where many boats headed for HMB take a left turn. That's where the divers found the boat. One body washed up near Montara; the other one was never found. Just saying.

Pat, along those lines, I often tell guests I take sailing how it does not look that far as we pass between Alcatraz and the city front. However, no one has ever heard from Frank Morris or John & Clarence Anglin, who tried the short swim on the evening of June 11, 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    Pat, along those lines, I often tell guests I take sailing how it does not look that far as we pass between Alcatraz and the city front. However, no one has ever heard from Frank Morris or John & Clarence Anglin, who tried the short swim on the evening of June 11, 1962.
    But who knows? They may swim with the fishies or they may be living in obscurity in Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Broderick - Elaine View Post
    In the early 1960s we bought seat belt kits, drilled holes in the body pan, and installed them in a 1950s Nash. A few years later we added a shoulder belt. Of course the last few vehicles have come already equipped. We've never used the belts, nor the various air bags our current cars have. Same thing for a couple who are our friends and our same ages (mid-70s - 80). Until a month ago. Driving down a city street at 30 mph a car came out of nowhere and plowed almost head-on into them. Bang! Air bags exploding, safety belts cinching, car body crumple zones crumpling, engine pushed under the front seats. The result? Bruised ribs, "raspberry burns" from the air bags, and misc. bruises. "Daisy" was lost on a fairly mild day, not very far offshore from Seal Rocks. About where many boats headed for HMB take a left turn. That's where the divers found the boat. One body washed up near Montara; the other one was never found. Just saying.
    Th Daisy incident was on the Doublehanded Lightship March 2008. http://norcalsailing.com/archives/En...Lightship.html
    The SSS HMB race has never had a turning mark at a seabouy but the crewed version does. Thats in June. This year the SSS HMB Race is in September and is usually milder and has been a late summer/fall race as far as I know. http://www.norcalsailing.com/entries...l#.VTxvPEtpdjE
    I don't recall ever being in a rough SSS HMB Race but maybe Pat or Jim or others can remember one and tell us about it.
    Last edited by Jonathan Gutoff; 04-25-2015 at 09:54 PM.