Thread: Identifying hazardous areas in the vicinity of SSS races and the bay area in general

Default Identifying hazardous areas in the vicinity of SSS races and the bay area in general

When I moved here two years ago I took a very cautious approach to exploring the area (mainly Angle Island/The Rock through GGB to the Farallon Islands). I did my best to read up on the hazardous areas in this vicinity and took careful note of the following:

1. South span of GGB
    2. Pt. Bonita/Four Fathom Bank - I was rather alarmed to see 16ft creasting waves some ways SW of the point
    3. Taking the left before the #8 buoy on an ebb tide
    4. Seal Rock area
    5. Farallon - cutting to close

My question is two-fold - Did I miss anything and during what conditions (ebb,flood, weather, etc) are these areas hazardous? I have seen many boats sail through the south span of the GGB - I have also seen pictures of substantial waves in this area.

I thank you in advanced and I sincerely hope that this thread can serve as a helpful guide to newcomers.

Jiri

6. HMB - don't cut the corners of the channel. It's not obvious...you have to sail toward the beach before turning left toward the jaws.

http://coastsidefishingclub.com/grey...-point-harbor/