Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bring back the Estuary Race

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    I totally would have won RTR if I didn't have to go around a tanker leaving the Richmond Terminal!

Chris King
    Puffin
    Alden 44
    Chris is probably kidding, but this was the principal reason the EBE Race finish was changed to South Beach. The board wanted to avoid what it called the "Bingo effect," where a ship could completely change the race results. As much as I enjoy finishing a race up the Estuary our fleets have grown too large for it. Travieso doesn't experience this because he's at the front of the fleet by the end of the race. (If he still raced Travieso he would get it. In fact, this would solve several issues )

Also, we used to start the race in Potrero Reach - another casualty of our own success. To quote some guy from several years ago: "If I were emperor, all SSS races would be singlehanded."
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-04-2015 at 08:46 AM.

So how here is another suggestion. Honestly I think all the inshore races are looking too much alike TBF, Corinthian and RTR are not that dissimilar. Personally we race in such a great wind/current area that I think a long central bay race is in order. Plenty of wind and plenty of strategic calls. I think a Berkeley start, around Pt. Bonita, with a TI finish (if the Estuary is so problematic) would be a good course. If we want it longer we could do Berkeley, Pt. Bonita, around Alcatraz, Blackaller, TI finish.

I do think SSS should evaluate new courses each year or two, lest it suffer the same fate as YRA.

How about taking finish times from the tower at Shoreline Park? A committee boat off Naval Air would also work but we may not always have one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7992.../data=!3m1!1e3

How about a Same Day, Same Bay race? Everyone starts at 11:00 (somewhere), sails exactly 20 NM (somewhere), returns to their starting Lat/Long and posts their GPS tracks and time?

Too wacky? I may not have had enough coffee today yet and I'm still suffering from the literal beating we took in the Great Vallejo Race this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    How about a Same Day, Same Bay race? Everyone starts at 11:00 (somewhere), sails exactly 20 NM (somewhere), returns to their starting Lat/Long and posts their GPS tracks and time?
    That's an interesting idea. Everybody would choose a course optimal for their boat. Of course, it would be comparing apples and oranges and grapefruit and bananas and ... forget fleets ... it would be fun, for sure.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    I think a Berkeley start, around Pt. Bonita, with a TI finish (if the Estuary is so problematic) would be a good course.

Or finish just outside the Estuary. I like it. Doesnt the 2nd half opener finish at EYC?

The 2nd Half Opener is hosted by the Encinal YC. They have a raft-up, dinner, evening awards, and breakfast at the club. So the primary finish line is in front of the EYC club house. They do, however, have a secondary finish line at the mouth of the Estuary in case the wind gives out. Those of us who sail that race often have to share the ditch with a container ship coming, going, turning. And, yes, there's sometimes a wait while a ship is using the turning basin - even on Sunday morning trying to get down and out to the Sunday start line near the north end of T.I.

Add a late summer run from GGYC to Bonita, then swing south to Bribane's Sierra YC