Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Crate(s)

Default The Crate(s)

Is there generally a container that the racers pool together to ship stuff over to Hawaii. If not, what do people do? There is a big difference between what is on my boat for racing versus delivery.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Last time there was a shipment of some sort arranged, but it was a lot less than a container. The SHTP ain't the PacCup. There was some forum chatter to be found in the 2014 SHTP sub forum.

Here is the thread.

http://sfbaysss.org/forum/showthread...ate-to-Hanalei

Bump.

I have a dinghy (very large duffel, about 70 lbs, no motor, but a foot pump), some plywood boards for lashing fuel canisters for the return, and a delivery main I would like to get put on the crate. Is there to be a crate?

Aloha.

I'd be interested if there was such a thing.

SHTP skippers have always made it happen (not the R/C). "Build it and they will come."

Creative stowage aboard beats the uncertainty, cost, construction, and logistics of shipping a crate to Hanalei. Plywood can go under a bunk cushion. An inflatable dinghy available straight away after finishing, better than swimming or bumming a ride to the beach. I built a shipping crate for Hawaii once. It didn't arrive to where it was supposed to go. Mileage may vary.

OK - here is the deal with the crate. My apologies for being a bit tardy, I am mid project in Las Vegas, which has consumed most of my time for the past week.

As much as I agree with Skip philosophically, and actually have no items for the crate, for better or worse, I am pretty well positioned to help out.
    The company I work for in Alameda builds tradeshows [any other things] and has a continual need to move things in wooden boxes.

First, for background, I will built the crate at my shop, or more accurately re-purpose a previously enjoyed one.
    Second, the size of the crate is limited by what can be carried in the bed of Larry's midsize pickup. Specifically; 37"w, 60"L, 42" T.
    Third, about 1/4 of the available interior has been claimed for trophies by Carlianne. That is fine, but space will be very limited.
    Fourth - Timing; given the sailing times for Matson, this will likely need to be loaded by 6/22 and sent to the freight forwarder...TBD how that happens, but it is likely easiest to deliver everything to my shop in Alameda.

OK, that's what I have time for this morning, more later...

DH

Wow, 1/4 of the space?! I might have rounded up by quite a bit, but I'll certainly be glad to have them out of my storage locker. What on earth possessed the SSS to make sure huge honkin' trophies?! They are very nice though. I am also going to make sure that everyone in the 2014 race who had won one has their name on the plaques before they are shipped so I better get on that now, too.

Remember, if you win a trophy, you have to bring it back yourself

I imagine the trophies will take up plenty of space once they are swathed in bubble wrap etc.

It sounds like the crate interior volume might be 50 cu ft. Perhaps 35 - 40 cu ft available to racers.

My stuff might be 15 - 20 cu ft, I can get a better estimate later. My shore team could pick it up Monday or Tuesday July 18 or 19. Of course, if I beat them I will have no dinghy! Maybe I should sail slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Wow, 1/4 of the space?! I might have rounded up by quite a bit, but I'll certainly be glad to have them out of my storage locker. What on earth possessed the SSS to make sure huge honkin' trophies?! They are very nice though. I am also going to make sure that everyone in the 2014 race who had won one has their name on the plaques before they are shipped so I better get on that now, too.
    Remember, if you win a trophy, you have to bring it back yourself
    Wait till you collect the trophies that are in Miss Lucy! One fills up the trunk and she has a huge trunk. The other one is about 18" square and is taking up valuable space in the backseat where more boat crap could be.