Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Rudders Show-and-Tell

Default History Written by Who?

Yes, Forester and several others. As they say, "History is written by the winners." Depending on your after-life beliefs, you might get a chance to hear the other side of the story? Hmmm. Would you find a Nazi Battleship Captain up in Heaven or down below in the bilge?

In 1983 I sailed my Newport 30 to Monterey. We overnighted at the yacht club, tied up just under the sea wall. As evening approached we noticed crowds of young-looking men in blue outfits walking by, enjoying bottles of something, and making an increasing amount of noise. We thought it was a giant fraternity party.

The next morning we popped out of that narrow Monterey Marina entrance and there it was - the U.S.S. Missouri anchored fore and aft squarely in our path back to Santa Cruz. With a dozen patrol boats making sure no one got within half a mile. Now we knew who the men in blue were. I think it took us half an hour to motor around the stern, keeping outside the picket line.

In the meantime we were also dodging shore boats shuttling sailors back and forth and dozens of private boats out gawking. Once on the Santa Cruz side, we began heading North, only to be stopped by a Coast Guard boat asking where we were going. We said, "Santa Cruz" and they said, "OK." And off we sailed. I guess we looked okay, although at the time I had a full beard and pony tail.

I visited the Missouri when she was tied up in Richmond several years ago. It really did seem as big as it looked that morning all those years ago. I knew one of the guys working on the ship and got an inside look at a very small part of it. It would have taken a week to look everywhere. I can believe the rudder stocks on battleships are that large. Everything else is.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Those would have been some pretty big dowels.

I found one statement (on the Internet, so it must be true) that the Bismarck's rudder stocks were steel tubes 82cm OD, 30 cm ID. About 1.3 tons per foot of length.

I recently read C.S. Forester's Last Nine Days of the Bismarck, a very entertaining though not exactly unbiased view of the events.

Historically rudders were not at the stern of a boat but on the quarter. I've often wondered if any thought has been devoted to a quarter rudder as an alternative. The mounting might be an issue but then it is an issue always. If you google The development of the rudder there are lots of proven quarter rudder set ups. Just a thought. Great thread, I sure never thought of the problem of capping the rudder tube (although with all the crap I carry I could probably manage).

If the boat has dual rudders, is there still a requirement for an emergency rudder? Dual rudders without emergency rudders was approved for Pac Cup..
    Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK

For SHTP, if you have dual rudders you already have an e-steering solution (the second rudder) so you don't need another one. That's going back 6 or 8 SHTP's worth of inspections that I know of. You still need a spare tiller unless you also have two of those. For example, Minis have dual rudders but a single tiller so they need to carry a spare.

I'll defer to Max (LongPac Race Chair) regarding that race but I'm guessing it's the same. I believe there's also a requirement for a pronounceable boat name
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-12-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhusselman View Post
    If the boat has dual rudders, is there still a requirement for an emergency rudder? Dual rudders without emergency rudders was approved for Pac Cup..
    Dirk "TIJD" First 30JK
    Key word being "WAS" approved. Pretty sure Pac Cup no longer accepts dual rudders without an emergency rudder since California Condor broke both their rudders and had to sail 1000 miles with a drogue.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Shear, was it a design/build issue or did Condor hit something that took out both rudders? Being a one-off, I'd guess it was a design/build issue.

Anyway, Pacific Cup is not the SHTP.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-12-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Did nt Condor also lose a rudder in the Coastal cup ? In any case, second had info was that the issue came down to under spec welds.

Yes. Lots of good miles since then without any issues though. Hopefully that means it's all sorted.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    For SHTP, if you have dual rudders you already have an e-steering solution (the second rudder) so you don't need another one. That's going back 6 or 8 SHTP's worth of inspections that I know of. You still need a spare tiller unless you also have two of those. For example, Minis have dual rudders but a single tiller so they need to carry a spare.
    Agreed. I would stick with SSS precedent and accept dual rudders without a spare. After all, if a dual-ruddered boat can lose both port and starboard rudders, a single-rudder boat could lose both the primary and the spare.

Killing me to miss this. Stuck in the shop all day today.
    dh