Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Rudders Show-and-Tell

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Killing me to miss this. Stuck in the shop all day today.
    dh
    Well, that is a shame. Look what you missed: Great turnout on Saturday. After show and tell five boats deployed their emergency rudders: Lightspeed, Bandicoot, Southernaire, Ragtime! and Iniscaw with varying degrees of success. The wind outside Richmond Yacht Club was approximately 12-14 knots, and every boat had crew. Here are the photos, I leave it to their skippers to offer up problems to be solved.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default more ER photos

Here are more and more to come still. Stay tuned

Default ER photos

find here and no more after.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry I missed the event!

Yes, me too. I spent all day Fri and Sat getting my new, locking companionway boards sorted out.

I took a bunch of video both ashore and sailing. There's very little sound though - the GoPro was inside its waterproof box. I could send clips to those in the video and they could make a narration using Voice Memos (iPhone) or similar. Then we could combine the video and audio files and post it on YouTube. Are you guys up for that?

Overall a very successful day in my view. We learned what actually works and what doesn't.

We raced down to the Southampton Shoal platform and back with e-steering. Max won by a country mile. I don't think I'd want to spend all that effort pulling steering lines though. It was a lot easier to just stick the boat on autopilot
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-18-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Impressive, Max is able to install the rudder cassette even with the boat at 90 deg !

Did anyone try the sweep ?

I don't think so, but we did deploy the kraken and recover it.

For those who weren't there, "the kraken" is my name for a Burke drogue, a well-regarded Australian brand. It came in a nice blue* bag printed with various illustrations, such as using it with a bridle for emergency steering. It worked fine as a drogue but was ineffective as a steering device. The tails of the bridle were led to the primary winches which are well forward on my boat, but this did not provide enough angle to move the stern as each bridle tail was tensioned. This made me realize that unless you have a really wide boat (like a multihull), towing buckets, etc. on either side to steer probably won't work. At a minimum you'd need them on outriggers of some kind.

* This was not the only reason I bought it.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-18-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Paul realized it was going to be hard to stow the sweep anywhere on my boat, plus he would have to disassemble it and reassemble it out on the water, so he decided to leave it behind.

As for my setup, I found that it steers quite well upwind. Downwind, as I learned two years ago when I was using it for real, the rudder stalls easily - not surprising, considering the crude foil shape. And as Bob mentioned, it's very hard work steering with it. I was going to build a better-balanced (swept forward?) blade over the winter, but I didn't get around to it. Paul suggested a trim tab on the trailing edge that would get some servo action going .... I may give that some thought.

Max